Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Clean up

• Please log in to reply

Gemius

Gemius

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've been trying to improve the performance of my PC by clearing out files from the Registry.

First I made a free scan using a downloaded program, Registry Mechanic. Then I started to delete the files it listed myself. After first exporting the files and printing off instructions for backing up the Registry. I also copied all my docs onto CD first.

I've had some success and haven't crashed it yet but the scan advised me to delete two files From the Registry which are used by my firewall. Norton PF 2003, and appear in my Start up list. (iamapp.exe and NISSERV.EXE). As far as I know these files are essential to the running of Nortons and I dare not delete them.

Does anyone know why the scan should advise this?

I'm intriged by the fact that both files are in the start up program and one of my problems is low resources. Could there be a link there?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Iamapp IAMAPP.exe

(Symantec) Background task which is an essential part of the Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall security products. Do not confuse this task with the IncrediMail IMApp task

Recommendation :
Leave alone if you are using any of the above two products.

Nisserv NISServ.exe

(Symantec) Norton Internet Security Service which is installed with both Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall. It is an essential component of the firewall but we do not know its specific role within the various background tasks of Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall. NISSERV does not show in the Task List in Windows 95/98*admin as it runs as a transparent task, so you have to run The Ultimate Troubleshooter to see it. NISSERV shows as a service under Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 on the other hand.

Recommendation :
Leave alone – essential firewall component.

You should leave them

Edited by Keith, 15 June 2005 - 04:48 PM.

Gemius

Gemius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Keith. I can see I must go carefully with this and can't rely on Registry Mechanic picking out all the right entries to delete. So far I've restricted myself to those I know are associated with programs I've previously uninstalled.

If anybody has any experience of the type of registry files that might cause problems with Internet Browsing and jerky mouse syndrome I'd be please to hear from them.