Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPod Classic - Bad HD or Logic Board?

• Please log in to reply

JackBullet

JackBullet

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Hello!  

I have a 7th Generation iPod Classic, 160 GB.  When attempting to turn it on, connect it to my computer, or reset it, the only thing that appears on the screen is the dreaded red X of death.  (Btw, I do not know how the device was functioning while it was alive, as this was given to me to replace my stolen iPod.  I was told it just stopped working one day.)

I was able to put it in diagnostics mode, and run various tests.  The screens seems totally fine, the memory tests seemed fine, clickwheel, buttons, etc.  When I went to IO>Hard Drive>HD Smart Data, after attempting to run the test it simply said "Can't Open Device" and "ERROR!  Diag Halt" at the bottom of the screen.  Same results for the other Hard Drive test.  

I'm speaking with someone who can replace the Hard Drive with an upgraded SDXC, which would seemingly fix the problem AND upgrade the device overall.  They said that it sounds a lot like it's just the hard drive, but if the logic board is fried, it would cost an extra $150, which I certainly can't afford.  

Any way I can definitively tell it's just a bad hard drive?

Thanks! 

Advertisements