Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help one more time please

• Please log in to reply

vamorv

vamorv

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Now that I was able to gain access to my old drive and drag the photos etc, is it possible to get Microsoft office and other program files from the old hard drive to the new one so that I'll be able to run them from the new hard drive? Also how do I get my outlook inbox files to the outlook express on the new hard drive? Thank you very much.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot simply move the PROGRAM files and expect them to run....you need to reinstall them

The data files you can copy over

for outlook

First, open outlook express and setup an account

next

let's say your old drive is now called F by windows

copy the contents of

f:\Documents and Settings\{old profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long alphanumeric string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
if there are several IDENTITIES, look through them, sorting by date, choosing the one with the most recent dates

copy to

C:\Documents and Settings\{NEW profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long alphanumeric string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
should only be one

NOTE: THE {long alphanumeric string} WILL NOT BE THE SAME--IT IS RANDOMLY CREATED.

your old outlook address book with be on the f: drive with a WAB extension.

copy it over the newly created one

vamorv

vamorv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the old mail files are in outlook not outlook express will that be a problem and what would be the path for that? Thank you very much.