Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Best Config

ASRock P4VM8 Pentium4 WindowsXP

• Please log in to reply

Dr. Schnellinger

Dr. Schnellinger

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there. Here's one of my PCs, I know it is pretty old but it still runs. It's a ASRock P4VM8 with a Pentium4 3.0GHz and a nVidia FX-5200 (128M) BIOS version is P1.30 (The last posted on the vendor's website)

I have some doubts on the BIOS configuration there is these options:

AGP aperture size [Options given; 32M, 64M, 128M (default), 256M]

and this

VGA share memory size [Options given; 64M (default), 16M, 32M, 128M, 256M, Disabled]

What should I choose on these options?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

without know how much ram is in the system and what operating system your running then we can't really say what's best for your situation, newer operating systems need more usable ram to work without issues, those settings are used to set aside x amount of your ram to be used only by your graphics so might effect how the os runs because that means x amount of ram is permanently unavailable to it.

agp is used when you have a dedicated graphics card installed and vga is used when your using onboard graphics.

so really if you have a lot of system ram and can spare losing the max amounts without it slowing things down then set them to max, probably the thing to do though is experiment and set them both to max use the pc and see how it goes, set them back to default or lower settings and test again then decide which settings give you the best user experience when using your pc and stick to that setting.

should add if your using a dedicated graphics card then you can just disable the vga setting and if using the onboard then set the agp to lowest setting, only one of the settings are actually used depending on what graphics your using anyway.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 19 March 2016 - 02:40 AM.

Dr. Schnellinger (Again)

Dr. Schnellinger (Again)

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Oh, I forgot to post that.

Total RAM: 1,2GB (1 256MB 333MHz and 2 1GB 133MHz)

My GPU is an AGP NVidia FX-5200 128MB

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i'd probably set agp to 32m and disable vga.

:popcorn: