Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SpySheriff :( [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You're very welcome! Yes I will help you with your other topic :tazz: Please follow my recommendations below:

First and foremost, you need XP Service Pack 2! Go to http://www.microsoft.com click on "Windows Update" on the left side then click "Express Install" to install the latest security updates including Service Pack 2.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Ewido Security Suite <= Protection against Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware, and Keyloggers.

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:

Advertisements

Surfingterd

Surfingterd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeaaah, awsome!

I've always kept up with updates and stuff man, but when SP2 came out, some people are like "it screwed up my computer and now I can't use crap!" So that made me think about not installing it, and even my friend told me not to, that it was okay not to, although I always thought it'd be best after you do a complete scan for spyware and trojans and stuff, so now that that's done with, I'll make sure to update! ;) :tazz:

-Okay, so Ewido is still installed,
-I have had Ad-Aware 1.06 installed,
-I have had Google Toolbar (only problem is that they don't have the version for Firefox),
-and I have had ZoneAlarm Pro.

Again, thanks a lot! Hope you can be able to help me in the other topic for the other computer.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Well, I have SP2 and my computer is just fine :tazz: ...look how infected your computer became with just SP1! You need SP2...maybe it screwed up their computer because they installed it while they were infected...If your system is clean, generally, you shouldn't have any problems. ;)

You're welcome and I will look at the other topic ;)

I would highly advise SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard...

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.