Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not getting MS updates

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Recently returned my Acer Aspire One D257 to original factory settings. There should have been a zillion Microsoft Updates. But not a one.

The Automatic feature is turned on. When I manually search for updates the feature searches endlessly and never finds a single update. Other downloads, programs etc. work fine. Any ideas? Something not selected?

Thanks in advance. You guys are great!!!

Bry

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

Hello Bry,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If you are running Windows 7 SP1 try to update the Windows Update Client by installing the latest Update provided by Microsoft (kb3138612)

I just tested this the other day on a fresh install, after installing this Update the CPU usage by svchost is lower and only Trustedinstaller hits 50% of the CPU for short periods, I let Windows search for updates and after 1 hour or so (not several hours) I got the list with 220 Updates to download and install.

Please note that if you have a low specs machine the search will take longer.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey PhilPower2... Is this what you need?

http://speccy.pirifo...a2X0bOqxkAudGpc

and did you ever move on board a boat?

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks SleepyDude, but there is too much information listed for my little brain to comprehend. How to I choose what to download? I got an little 32 bit machine and don't see that anywhere. And I'm not sure if I have SP-1. Probably not, due to my issues. Can you be more specific please.

Thank you...

Bry

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Thanks SleepyDude, but there is too much information listed for my little brain to comprehend. How to I choose what to download? I got an little 32 bit machine and don't see that anywhere. And I'm not sure if I have SP-1. Probably not, due to my issues. Can you be more specific please.

Thank you...

Bry

According to the Speccy report the machine is running Windows 7 Starter Service Pack 1 (x86) 32 bits

Install this one All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7

Due to low specs of the machine most likely you will have to wait a long time (hours) to get the list of updates needed...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

SleepyDude appears to have this in hand so will only chime in regarding what is shown to be running and stopped in the Speccy report in case it has any bearing on why the updates will not install;

Windows Defender

Windows Defender: Enabled

Antivirus
Antivirus: Enabled
Company Name: Microsoft
Display Name: Microsoft Security Essentials

Running: Windows Firewall

Stopped: Windows Defender

Running: McAfee Firewall Core Service
Running: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service

Stopped: McAfee McShield

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks guys. Yeah... I figured it would take hours. Luckily the beer is cheap here at Wendy's bar, Luperon, DR. I'll attempt the install and let you know.

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,745 posts

:thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay. I downloaded the program and am running it now. It's been searching for MS updates for over an hour and a half. Is that right? The last time, with this computer, it accumulated a LIST of required updates quite quickly (without endless searching), and then I downloaded them. It took, maybe and hour and a half, total. Quick and easy. What has changed?

And thank you...

Bry

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Okay. I downloaded the program and am running it now. It's been searching for MS updates for over an hour and a half. Is that right? The last time, with this computer, it accumulated a LIST of required updates quite quickly (without endless searching), and then I downloaded them. It took, maybe and hour and a half, total. Quick and easy. What has changed?

And thank you...

Bry

Yes you have to wait. Microsoft did some changes and now Windows 7 takes a long time to find the updates.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Well it's been over four hours now and I'm still searching. My computer has over heated and so have I. I've drunk all the beer in Wendy's bar and this wayward sailor is outta cash. Time to pack it in. Thank you Microsoft... for nothing. Once again!

I hear the drums. They say: Ubuntu... Ubuntu... Ubuntu...

Thanks for all your help...

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Any other ideas for me?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Did you get any error or simply the update search doesn't end?

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

No. The search never end.

I don't have the computer with me right now, but I will download the minitoolbox and post the results.

Thanks so much for the help.

Bry