Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running a program from a Flash Drive or other External Hard Drive

Converting Quicken

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I am in the process of converting files from Quicken 98 to Quicken 2014.  Quicken requires that you first convert the files to Quicken 04 (which they provide) then opening the converted file in Quicken 2014 which converts it Quicken 2014 files. 

I have Quicken 98 on Windows XP on a virtual drive since I have Windows 64 bit and Quicken 98 will not run on a 64 bit computer.  Quicken 2014 is installed on my computer. 

My Question: Is it possible to install Quicken 2004 on a flash drive along with files and just plug/unplug the flash when I need the program to do the conversion?  Since two versions of Quicken cannot be on the same hard drive, will there be any issues doing it this way?  Can the Flash drive be plugged into any USB port or does it have to plugged into the same port?

Thanks.

Advertisements

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Some programs, a lot of them, actually, can be run as "portable apps". Meaning that they keep all their configuration files and things in the folder for the application itself. No registry entries, no INI or CFG files stored elsewhere on the hard drive.

Quicken is not one of those. It has many, MANY registry entries and configuration files stored in the AppData (or Application Data) folder. You could install it, sure. But would it run when you moved it to another computer? Probably not. And, if it did, it would run incorrectly.

Your best bet would probably be to see if you can find the Quicken 98 database files and copy those to a flash drive instead. Then follow the rest of your conversion steps. Just don't uninstall or delete Quicken98 until you're done, in case something goes wrong.

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks for your response. 

If I used programs on the same computer, do you think I can have Quicken 2014 on the main computer, with Quicken 2004 on a flash drive?  Would they co-exist without one disrupting the other?.  (Quicken 98 is on the same computer however in a Virtual/XP Mode).  Since it has been so many years, I want to try to convert files from Q98 to Q04 and then work with them on Q14 until I am used to the program.  That means periodically I have to convert the file to Q04 then Q14 which is fairly quick. 

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

I honestly don't know. Although I seriously doubt it, as I'm sure many (perhaps even most) of the registry entries are the same from Q98 to Q04/Q14. 

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Thanks for the follow up. 

Arlburn

Arlburn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have similar question. If I have entire Quicken program and Quicken data file installed on a flash drive an I run it on main computer without interfering with current quicken files on my computer? I'm afraid trying to update the old files may change current files. Old files are from 1999 to 2004, and I don't know what version of quicken I had at that point. I'm having the program and data files transferred at computer store today from IDE drives removed from old computer. I'm not sure he'll know the answer. I'm currently using quicken 2015 with WIN7. I know I have upgraded to quicken many times as I have installation discs. Probably the latest year on the IDE drive is 2007 but do not know for sure. I would appreciate any advice you can give.