Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limitations of Macrium Reflect on a small drive

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I have one laptop with only 250G of space which has Win7 plus some data that I want to preserve.  I considered downloading the trial of Macrium Reflect but the size indicates to me that it would not work with such a small drive.   Is there a smaller version or another way to clone the drive for safe keeping?

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi Janis,

Macrium Reflect should work on a 250gb hard drive as I have used it on smaller hard drives before.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

question is where are you cloning/imaging the 250GB drive to?

macrium reflect can be used to image any size hard drive to dvd's or another hard drive.

you can't clone a hard drive to a smaller hard drive if the data on the original hard drive is more than the smaller hard drive can hold, so you couldn't clone a 500Gb hard drive with 300GB of data on it to a 250GB hard drive for example.

:popcorn:

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I would be cloning onto a 320G HD.   When I looked at the download size plus the install,  I am concerned about space.  I can not remove any of the programs or data that are currently on the drive. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry i'm really not understanding where your issues are, cloning the 250GB drive to the 320GB drive should really be straight forward.

here's the guide :- http://knowledgebase.../Cloning a disk

or are you trying to say you've downloaded macrium reflect and there is not enough space on your 250GB drive to install it? i find that hard to believe but if that is the case then create a bootable winpe cd/dvd/usb stick of macrium reflect on another pc and boot that to run the cloning process on your current pc.

all info is in the user guide :- http://knowledgebase...t v6 User Guide

:popcorn:

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

thanks for the help/tutorial.   I may have a bad external drive which makes things confusing.  After I study the tutorial, I will have to address the possible hard ware issue.  Indicates loss of power (green to red) intermittently