Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc turns off directly & says 'processor thermal trip '

• Please log in to reply

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

the problem came about 3 days ago

configuration'E7400 core2 duo 2.8ghz,,ram 4Gb,,hdd 500+160

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Rajat kuntal,

From the information given it sounds like the CPU cooling fan has either failed/been disabled or is so clogged with dust that the processor is getting that hot that the MBs thermal sensor is shutting things down to prevent the CPU from frying.

For now, do not try starting up the PC until we have some more info and can suggest some checks for you to do.

Couple of questions for you;

Are you ok with working inside a computer.

When you were powering up could you hear the CPU cooling fan running.

Is this a brand name desktop or a custom build, if a brand name post the brand and model name or number so we can do some research, if a custom build, do you know how to take the side off so you can take a look inside.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

it is custom made pc , it beeps 4 times n says processor thermal trip when i start it again

i think the problem came into picture after i installed the 2gb ram

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Adding 2GB of Ram in itself would not cause a thermal trip, accidentally disconnecting the CPU cooling fan when working inside the case would though.

For us to best be able to help you it is important that you answer all questions asked, if you are able to that is, we have no way of knowing a persons capabilities or safety awareness regarding the risk of electric shock so have to ask.

When you were powering up could you hear the CPU cooling fan running.

do you know how to take the side off so you can take a look inside.

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

cooling fan is running normally,

it can also be due to power failure

now what should i do

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I`m sorry but if you do not answer my questions I am not prepared to help you due to the risk of you possibly electrocuting yourself if you don`t know what safety procedures need to be followed. 

do you know how to take the side off so you can take a look inside.

JAFYI: 4 beeps could be down to a problem with the Ram but it cold also mean MB timer not operational/a bad MB.

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

i am unable to understand your question properly,

also i am poor in english so please forgive me for mistakes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your English is fine and don`t worry about asking if something that I post is not clear.

Basically what I have been trying to confirm is whether or not you are aware of the dangers of working inside a computer, your safety comes first and fixing the computer second, from your reply #3

i think the problem came into picture after i installed the 2gb ram

If you confirm that the 2GB of Ram was fitted by yourself then we know that you are ok with working inside of a computer.

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

yes,

i also fitted several components like hardisk,cpu fan ,dvd, so there is no problem with working inside a computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the confirmation  :thumbsup:

Can I ask how long ago the CPU was fitted and was thermal compound correctly cleaned off and reapplied.

It is possible that there are two issues going on, one with overheating and one with the Ram, for now I would suggest that you remove the second stick of Ram while we check out the overheating problem, can you also make sure that the original Ram is in the slot nearest the processor please.

After removing the second stick of Ram, check that the CPU heatsink and cooling fan are securely in place, that the fan is connected to the correct header on the MB and that the heatsink is not clogged with dust.

Once the above has been done, restart the computer and access the BIOS, check that the time and date are correct and then look for a setting such as "restore factory defaults" or "most stable" select this option, save the new settings and exit commonly done by pressing F10, see if the computer boots then post back with an update for us. 

Advertisements

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

i removed one stick of ram two days ago that i fitted recently,,the problem does not occur

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

but why the second stick creates problem

i installed 2gb ram recently to improve the performance,but it decrease the performance & can damage system

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is the second stick of Ram the exact same specification as the stick that works.

Where did you get the second stick of Ram from, if it is not out of the box new it may have been gotten rid of because it was known to be bad.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

Rajat kuntal

Rajat kuntal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

sorry for that

both the sticks has same serial no i.e KVR667D2N5/2G but the new one is small in size

should i return it as i purchased it about 12 days ago

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem  :thumbsup:

Both sticks should be the exact same as the specs here they should be the exact same length and height if both have the same serial number.

You should return it asap but could try removing the working stick of Ram and fitting the new stick to see if the computer boots, only if the Ram stick is the same length and has the same amount of pins (240).