Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't power on

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

Power problems can manifest themselves in many different ways and the problem that you are having could be power related yet nothing to do with the AC adapter or main power brick, a break in the soldered circuit or a system short as two examples of what could interfere with the power supply to hardware such as the HDD/HDD port on the MB.

Other thing I am going to try is she has another Toshiba that uses the same battery.  If this battery powers that PC, then I would definitely say its the mobo or something on the mobo.

That would be a good test but only if both batteries are the exact same or have the same voltage and the battery from the problem notebook has a higher amperage than the known working notebook battery has.

FWIW: A bad CPU could also result in a black screen but would not stop power getting to the HDD etc and that is why I have not suggested a bad CPU as the possible cause here.

Advertisements

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

I should see them over the weekend - I am looking at the specs for the other pc she has, both use a 4000mAh Lithium and they looked to be the same shape to me.

The A505D I am troubleshooting  uses a 75W(19V x 3.94A) power supply

The A205 she has uses a 75W(19V x 3.95A) power supply  -  this is the one she has been using with it, 1 amp difference

The power supply I was using to test is 75W(19V x 3.42A) so maybe when I go over there, I will do one last discharge with no battery, cd drive, HD or memory and try with that adapter.

I tried multiple discharges with all those components out last night and after one of them, using the battery, the caps light came on very strong as well as a couple of lights I had not seen come on before and I thought it was back from the dead but they quickly went off.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts
The A505D I am troubleshooting  uses a 75W(19V x 3.94A) power supply
The A205 she has uses a 75W(19V x 3.95A) power supply  -  this is the one she has been using with it, 1 amp difference

As long as the voltage is the same and the amps match or exceed what the notebook requires it is fine, the amps could be a lot more but the notebook will only draw what it needs.

The power supply I was using to test is 75W(19V x 3.42A) 

The amps are too low and therefore not enough for the minimum that the notebook requires.

Can I just ask if when you say power supply you mean the AC adapter or the main power brick (battery).

NB: The fact that the DVD drive opens and closes suggests that there should be enough juice present to power a HDD.

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Well she forgot the powerc cord but took the battery out of the dead computer, put it in the other Toshiba and it powered right up so the battery is good.

Edited by ajcstr, 27 March 2016 - 08:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

Suggests a bad MB but I would ask a local tech how much they would charge to test and confirm it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

Been able to make any progress with this ajcstr.

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

I think I've done all I could - I did get a hold of her adapter and did the discharge test one more time.  I doubt she is going to want to pay to have it looked at.  I think I'm done at this point - just going to give it back.

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by ajcstr, 04 April 2016 - 11:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,770 posts

I concur, you have done as much as you can and can do no more, sorry that we were not able to help you repair the notebook  :(

You are most welcome btw and thank you for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

You have done a lot of troubleshootings.

Now, the laptop powers ON but no POST display, have we tried connecting the laptop to the external monitor?

Here is a video hope that can help with the laptop motherboard quick troubleshooting:

https://www.youtube....h?v=y_NyrCNzAZY

Kind regards,

Bill

Tech Manager, WPTinc.

ajcstr

ajcstr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Yes, did try with external monitor but to restate, none of the lights for the volume controls above the keyboard even come on, only the lights that are below the keyboard so It does not completely power on.  CD spins if one is in there but HDD makes no sound.

That tool looks awesome.  Don't know if I would buy one at this point because all the newer laptops don't even let you get to those slots anymore without taking the whole thing apart.  I just noticed on my wife's laptop there is no easy way to get to the memory or even the battery.

Edited by ajcstr, 06 April 2016 - 12:18 PM.

Advertisements