Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

want to build amd athlon 64 computer

• Please log in to reply

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I am going to build a computer with an amd athlon 64 CPU but i have noticed that none of the mobo's that i have seen have FSB frequency as high as the processors FSB are they out there and i haven't fonud them yet or is it something else

Advertisements

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Athlon 64 processors do not have fsbs.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
well the Socket 939 Athlon 64's
have 5 200Mhz Hypertransport connections from the Processor to the North Bridge
Posted Image
If you might notice on the Athlon 64 your ram(dual channels) is connect into the Cpu instead of the North Bridge like the Athlon xp and the P4's
you can overclock the processor's Hypertransport without overclocking the ram. u can overclock the ram without overclocking the processor :-). so the Front Speed Bus is basicly non existant.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks but i am still not quite getting it all. is the RAM put right onto the CPU or will i have to turn off the north bridge in the BIOS or what will the ram still go in the mobo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When the PC is off and you are putting it together you slot the ram into the correct slots.
If you are asking these kinds of questions you need to read some more stuff on building.
http://www.buildyour...ng/fitting/ram/ read this site for a start.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, basically, when you look at the athlon 64, you do not need to worry about the front side bus. You do not have to mix and match. All you need to do is have the correct socket processor fit into the correct socket mobo.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
ok thanks i get it now so all i will have to do is get a CPU and mobo with say socket 939

Edited by ernieh, 17 June 2005 - 10:38 AM.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes