Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Authentic Windows Error and Won't run downloaded exe files [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I noticed that Win 10 seems to be slower at most things, e.g. launching an app, changing windows, etc.  I'll be back home later tonight, to try things out again, but If you have a tune up suggestion, fire away.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I do this whenever I upgrade my windows 10

This can take an hour or so as the disc is thoroughly defragmented and start up files are moved to the front of the drive

Download the SDK web installer from here
Run the installer and select the following:

Leave the location to default
wdk%20location.JPG

Windows Performance Toolkit
Wintoolkitselect.JPG

You must reboot on completion of the install

After reboot set aside about 30 minutes when you will not need the computer

When ready start an elevated command prompt :

Go Start > All Programs > Accessories or press Windows+X
Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

Then copy and paste the following command into the black box :

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot

sdk%20command.JPG

Now your PC will be restarted 6 times. With a two minute pause before the tool runs after the desktop loads
After the second reboot the MS defragmentation program is running and is placing the files into an optimized layout, so that Windows will boot up faster
The last Reboots are training of readyBoot. After the training is finished, you'll notice a huge improvement in startup.

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Shazam!  It took a little longer than advertised.  A slower harddrive and lots of junk, so the defrag went overnight, then stopped because I wasn't here to give it permission to "make changes to my PC."  But three quick reboots tonight and it is spinning like a top.  Thanks for everything!!.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Ahh I forgot to insert the changes... Sorry about that
:oops: 

To turn UAC off

1.Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
2.Do the following: To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

No problems.  It ran fine and now so does my computer.  All's good.  Thanks again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.