Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_ERROR on startup, cannot boot to Win 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

On turning on the computer, I get a BSOD with the error listed above. It tries an automatic repair, does nothing but get me to an advanced options screen where I can then choose "Troubleshoot" and try various options. I have no System Restore points, so that one is out. I'm not ready to try reinstalling Win10, so can anyone assist me in trying to find out exactly what's causing the error and fix without a reinstall? I can get to a command prompt through the advanced options, so I assume I can try to find any error logs. I'm not up on reading those and fixing myself. 

I have tried removing all connections to the computer (USB, second HD, LAN, etc) and restarting with no effect.There has been no hardware or software installed recently that would lead me to believe that's the cause.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

TIA!

UPDATE: Following is a logfile I managed to copy over. Maybe this will be of some assistance...

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Last successful boot time: ‎3/‎2/‎2016 12:51:39 PM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 21

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = D:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Setup state check
Time taken = 234 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Registry hives test
Time taken = 1531 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Windows boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Bugcheck analysis
Time taken = 469 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Access control test
Time taken = 7516 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: File system test (chkdsk)
Time taken = 20625 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Software installation log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found: 
A patch is preventing the system from starting.

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0xa
Time taken = 2171 ms

Session details
AutoChk Run = 0

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 422 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 78 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found: 
Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

Session details
AutoChk Run = 0

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 422 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 78 ms

Test Performed: 
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found: 
Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

Edited by Cerberus262, 26 March 2016 - 08:11 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Cerberus262,

I can get to a command prompt through the advanced options,

From the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and then press Enter, it is sometimes necessary to re-start the computer and run SFC up to 3/4 times before all errors are repaired.

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Thanks for the response!

I have tried the SFC command a number of times, rebooting between. I get the following error after it gets to 100% of the scan:

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I am assuming it's trying to do some repair action but cannot? What next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

This means that the files that are required to carry out the repairs to the OS are not available.

From the command prompt/Administrator type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth then press Enter, this may take up to ten minutes or so**, once finished try restarting then running SFC again.

** DISM may appear to hang at around 20% but please allow it to finish.

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Got message that "DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Onlne option". Is this because I'm trying this prior to Win10 boot?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

It should run from command prompt and the fact that it is not suggests the best option is to use your Windows 10 media to reset the present OS, you can do this without losing any of your personal data but may need to reinstall certain apps, see the resetting your PC option here

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Windows dir is D as you thought it might be.

First command string gets me the following: "There is a system repair pending which required reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again". Tried restarting and still gets me the same error loop, back to advanced options letting me get to command prompt. Ran command again, same error.

Ran the chkdsk - no bad sectors, said no problems, no further action is required. It did say at the end "failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50." Assuming that's just due to the WinPE environment?

So... we have ruled out bad hard drive. How can we get the repair function to operate?

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Execute Del /f  /a  D:\Windows\WinSxS\Pending.xml  command and run the Sfc command if you still get the "There is a system repair pending which required reboot to complete" error then execute Del /f  /a  X:\Windows\WinSxS\Pending.xml  command and try to run SFC command.  If the error message still displayed then run Dism  /Image:D:\Windows  /Cleanup-Image  /RevertPendingActions command and try to run the Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\    /OFFWINDIR=D\Windows command. Have you recently installed any new hardware or device driver or software before this boot issue started.

OK. Got the sfc /scannow/offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows to start, now I get the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". This was after deleting the XML file on D: and attempting to run the Dism command. The Dism command gave me "Error: 2 Unable to access the image. Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder". I entered all commands exactly as referenced above with the exception of the last SFC command reference where it looks like you forgot a colon after the last D designation. Thoughts? Permissions issue on the D:Windows folder? Can I change that?

Edited by Cerberus262, 28 March 2016 - 12:58 PM.

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Data from first set of commands:

X:\windows\system32>bcdedit /enum |find "osdevice"
osdevice                partition=D:

X:\windows\system32>dism /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Error: 1392

An error occurred accessing the temporary folder X:\windows\TEMP\C130E61B-4A48-4080-90F0-38E4685F1CD2.
Ensure that the path to the temporary folder exists and that you have Read/Write permissions on the folder.

The DISM log file can be found at X:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is a copy of the DISM log referenced above if that is helpful:

2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   PID=1272 TID=1276 Scratch directory set to 'X:\windows\TEMP\'. - CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   PID=1272 TID=1276 DismCore.dll version: 10.0.10586.0 - CDISMManager::FinalConstruct
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   PID=1272 TID=1276 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "X:\windows\System32\Dism" - CDISMManager::LoadLocalImageSession
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Finished initializing the Provider Map. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. - CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: 
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Starting Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=10.0.10586, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=4
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Dism.exe version: 10.0.10586.0
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism  /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: VHDManager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: GenericImagingManager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: GenericImagingManager.
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FfuManager
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
[1272] [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The system cannot find the file specified.
[1272] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[1272] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting Provider VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 The provider VHDManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Getting Provider WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
[1272] [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The system cannot find the file specified.
[1272] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[1272] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 The provider WimManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=1272 TID=1276 No imaging provider supported CreateDismImage for this path - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 physical location path: d:\ - CDISMManager::CreateImageSession
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 Event name for current DISM session is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715 - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 Create session event 0x1e0 for current DISM session and event name is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715  - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 Copying DISM from "d:\Windows\System32\Dism" - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Error                 DISM   DISM Manager: PID=1272 TID=1276 Failed to copy the image provider store out of the image. - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation(hr:0x80070570)
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: Could not load the image session. HRESULT=80070570
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: GenericImagingManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: Compatibility Manager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Disconnecting Provider: FfuManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-28 20:22:35, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=1272 TID=1276 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

-------------------------------------

Restarted, went through same loop to try to start, cannot boot into safe mode through the Advanced Options.

I do not have set up DVD (bought this copy of Win10 online) but I do have other Win10 computers.

No changes to BIOS or settings, no new hardware recently at all. Last addition was graphics card about 6 months ago.

Here is data from last set of commands:

D:\>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10586

Copyright © 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MININT-36H79H6

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     E                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media
  Volume 1     C   System Rese  NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy
  Volume 2     D                NTFS   Partition    111 GB  Healthy
  Volume 3     F   RESCUE DISC  FAT32  Removable   3826 MB  Healthy

DISKPART>

=======================================

D:\>bootrec /fixmbr
The operation completed successfully.

D:\>bootrec /fixboot

D:\>bootrec /rebuildbcd
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0

----------------------------------------------------------

Tried reboot, no success. Still goes through the same loop and I end up at the Advanced Options screen.

BTW - the F drive above is a USB drive I had plugged in to copy the logs onto.

Any other logs that might give a clue? It seems I can access anything on either the D: or X: drives...

Thanks for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for my absence and wrongly assuming that you already had Windows 10 media Cerberus262, I misread what you meant by "I'm not ready to try reinstalling Win10,"

Couple of observations from the work that the two of you have been doing;

Volume 1     C   System Rese  NTFS   Partition    100 MB  Healthy

The drive/partition that Windows is installed on is automatically allocated the drive letter C: by Windows, 100MB is not enough space for any OS but it is enough for a System Reserved partition in Windows 7, not enough for it to be System Reserved for Windows 8 or 10 though as it would take up 350MB of space.

It seems I can access anything on either the D: or X: drives...

D: when not allocated to an optical drive is commonly a data partition on the same storage device as what the C: Windows partition is on, being that you can access the D: drive/partition can you tell us what exactly is on it.

Going by the above it looks like you upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, is that correct, if yes, how long ago.

Thank you for the additional assistance FreeBooter  :thumbsup: a word to the wise though, please avoid offering any assistance that is any way related to malware removal as in suggesting that Cerberus262 disinfect their computer in your reply #11, the GTG Terms of Use prohibits this;

Because of the potential for harm, only staff members approved for malware removal are allowed to offer malware removal advice or reply to malware topics.

Advertisements

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

This was a fresh installation of Win10 via online purchase on a new SSD drive. I'm assuming the C: and D: designations adjust while in the WinRE environment. D: is showing as the main drive with the Windows installation.

When it normally boots up, C: is the main drive. Of course none of the commands I am trying seem to be working. I tried running the commands from the Windows Media DVD choosing command prompt from the troubleshooting menu, but all commands give the same error messages I have been seeing...

I can see the D: drive and can access any files through command prompt. Any logs that might help in finding out the issue? I dread having to reinstall software on this computer - my boy will not be happy.

Edited by Cerberus262, 29 March 2016 - 08:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I admit that I am stumped and can only see a fresh install of the OS as the solution, FreeBooter may have some further suggestions for you and i will meanwhile ponder on it.

Edit to add;

Sorry was a bit rushed this morning and replied before heading off to work;

I previously asked what is shown to be on the D: drive, can you tell us please.

Noted the following in your last reply;

I dread having to reinstall software on this computer - my boy will not be happy.

The SSD that you installed Windows 10 to is just about large enough for the OS and therefore reinstalling Windows 10 would not be as much trouble as reinstalling an OS on a larger SSD or HDD that was partitioned, I would not recommend partitioning such a small drive so that it has both the OS and data on it and would definitely not save any data to it other than Windows updates etc.

Edited by phillpower2, 30 March 2016 - 08:11 AM.
As per the above.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Point them towards the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide  information here please FreeBooter  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for helping out on the forums  :)  :thumbsup:

Cerberus262

Cerberus262

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Well, here is the result of the commands suggested:

The ACTIVE command did not resolve the problem on restart. Same loop.

The other commands resulted in the following errors (after each error, I have included the DISM log referenced.):

An error occurred accessing the temporary folder d:\scratch\98959F0D-90DB-4309-819B-4B7FE325594F.
Ensure that the path to the temporary folder exists and that you have Read/Write permissions on the folder.

-------------
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   PID=476 TID=540 Scratch directory set to 'X:\windows\TEMP\'. - CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   PID=476 TID=540 DismCore.dll version: 10.0.10586.11 - CDISMManager::FinalConstruct
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   PID=476 TID=540 Scratch directory set to 'd:\scratch'. - CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   PID=476 TID=540 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "X:\Sources" - CDISMManager::LoadLocalImageSession
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Finished initializing the Provider Map. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. - CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: 
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Starting Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=10.0.10586, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=4
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Dism.exe version: 10.0.10586.0
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism  /image:d:\ /scratchdir:d:\scratch /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\FolderProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Connecting to the provider located at X:\Sources\FolderProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\WimProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Connecting to the provider located at X:\Sources\WimProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\VHDProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Connecting to the provider located at X:\Sources\VHDProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\ImagingProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Connecting to the provider located at X:\Sources\ImagingProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\CompatProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Connecting to the provider located at X:\Sources\CompatProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Loading Provider from location X:\Sources\FfuProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Warning               DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Failed to Load the provider: X:\Sources\FfuProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: VHDManager
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: GenericImagingManager
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: GenericImagingManager.
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
[476] [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The system cannot find the file specified.
[476] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[476] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=476 TID=540 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=476 TID=540 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting Provider VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=476 TID=540 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=476 TID=540 The provider VHDManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Getting Provider WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
[476] [0x80070002] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The system cannot find the file specified.
[476] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[476] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=476 TID=540 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=476 TID=540 The provider WimManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=476 TID=540 No imaging provider supported CreateDismImage for this path - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 physical location path: d:\ - CDISMManager::CreateImageSession
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 Event name for current DISM session is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715 - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 Create session event 0x1e0 for current DISM session and event name is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715  - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 Copying DISM from "d:\Windows\System32\Dism" - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Error                 DISM   DISM Manager: PID=476 TID=540 Failed to copy the image provider store out of the image. - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation(hr:0x80070570)
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: Could not load the image session. HRESULT=80070570
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Disconnecting Provider: WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Disconnecting Provider: VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Disconnecting Provider: GenericImagingManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Disconnecting Provider: Compatibility Manager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 13:54:53, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=476 TID=540 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

------------

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

An error occurred accessing the temporary folder X:\windows\TEMP\E45336C8-F01E-4AF3-B138-30ADAE346BB7.

------------

2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   PID=676 TID=664 Scratch directory set to 'X:\windows\TEMP\'. - CDISMManager::put_ScratchDir
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   PID=676 TID=664 DismCore.dll version: 10.0.10586.0 - CDISMManager::FinalConstruct
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   PID=676 TID=664 Successfully loaded the ImageSession at "X:\windows\System32\Dism" - CDISMManager::LoadLocalImageSession
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Found and Initialized the DISM Logger. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_InitializeLogger
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Failed to get and initialize the PE Provider.  Continuing by assuming that it is not a WinPE image. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Finished initializing the Provider Map. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting Provider DISMLogger - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Provider has previously been initialized.  Returning the existing instance. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 Successfully created the local image session and provider store. - CDISMManager::CreateLocalImageSession
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: 
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Starting Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=10.0.10586, Running architecture=amd64, Number of processors=4
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Dism.exe version: 10.0.10586.0
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism  /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:e:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Provider has not previously been encountered.  Attempting to initialize the provider. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\VHDProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\ImagingProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Loading Provider from location X:\windows\System32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Connecting to the provider located at X:\windows\System32\Dism\FfuProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: VHDManager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: GenericImagingManager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: GenericImagingManager.
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FfuManager
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
[676] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[676] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[676] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=676 TID=664 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=676 TID=664 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting Provider VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM VHD Provider: PID=676 TID=664 [d:\] is not recognized by the DISM VHD provider. - CVhdImage::Initialize
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=676 TID=664 The provider VHDManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Getting Provider WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::GetProvider
[676] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1250): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[676] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(793)
[676] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(3046)
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM WIM Provider: PID=676 TID=664 [d:\] is not a WIM mount point. - CWimMountedImageInfo::Initialize
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=676 TID=664 The provider WimManager does not support CreateDismImage on d:\ - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Imaging Provider: PID=676 TID=664 No imaging provider supported CreateDismImage for this path - CGenericImagingManager::CreateDismImage
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 physical location path: d:\ - CDISMManager::CreateImageSession
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 Event name for current DISM session is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715 - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 Create session event 0x1e8 for current DISM session and event name is Global\__?_Volume{6143ba6e-0000-0000-0000-500600000000}__3371616124_786432_93715  - CDISMManager::CheckSessionAndLock
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 Copying DISM from "d:\Windows\System32\Dism" - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Error                 DISM   DISM Manager: PID=676 TID=664 Failed to copy the image provider store out of the image. - CDISMManager::CreateImageSessionFromLocation(hr:0x80070570)
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Error                 DISM   DISM.EXE: Could not load the image session. HRESULT=80070570
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Found the OSServices.  Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: WimManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: VHDManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: GenericImagingManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: Compatibility Manager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Disconnecting Provider: FfuManager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider
2016-03-31 14:01:15, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=676 TID=664 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger.  Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

Any clues in this? I am trying to get one of the referenced disk tests run, but unless one runs from CD/DVD or USB, I will need to pull the drive and buy USB cable to attach to my laptop. Do you know if any run outside of Windows?

Thanks for all the help - hopefully we can find a solution.