Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows password required when none set (Resolved).

password

Best Answer digga , 27 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hi phillpower2, Apologies. Since I posted the question, I have found possible "solutions" and I can see that these might allow anyone to hack into somebody's Windows system. I apologise f... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

digga

digga

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.
When I tried to log on today, I was asked for a Windows password. I have never set a password, hence the confusion.
I checked out a number of possible solutions but did not get anywhere.
Then I remembered I have an old HDD on the same machine. It was giving so much trouble some years ago that I was advised to buy a new HDD.
The old HDD also has Windows 7 Home Premium.
I was trying a possible solution I had found online. I was trying to get into safe mode via F8 but only got the boot sequence. I changed the boot sequence so that the desktop boots to the old HDD and that is where I am now.
I want to remove the password protection so that I can revert to my other HDD which has new programs and data. I would also like to know if the problem was caused by malware. I have Avast running and run Malwarebytes and run a boot sector scan once a week.
My technical knowledge is minimal. I shall be grateful for any advice offered.
Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello digga,

As per the GTG Terms of Use we cannot help regarding bypassing passwords;

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we a G2G do not assist in what amounts to hacking past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

If you have the Windows 7 installation media you could try backing up your data using Puppy Linux and then do a fresh install of Windows 7.

digga

digga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi phillpower2,

Apologies. Since I posted the question, I have found possible "solutions" and I can see that these might allow anyone to hack into somebody's Windows system.

I apologise for breaching the terms of the forum and I will not use the "solutions" found but will follow your advice about a using Linux Puppy, which I have, and the original OS disk.

Thank you.

Edited by digga, 27 March 2016 - 02:35 PM.

digga

digga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I meant to mark your post as the best answer but I seem to have managed to apply it to my own.

I did say my tech knowledge was minimal !!

More Apologies.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hi digga,

No panic as you did not breach the TOU, had someone helped you with getting around the password they would have done so and been in hot water for it  :yes:

As long as you consider your question answered that is all that matters here, I like your answer better anyway  :)