Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display not working

• Please log in to reply

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey everybody

I have a custom built pc with Windows 10. I wanted to wipe the computer to have a clean start. I went into the menu to reset the pc and the conputer restarted (fans still spinning, lights working) but the display didn't come back.

I tried a different monitor and no display.

Advertisements

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Everytime it tells me hdmi no signal on the monitor them goes back to sleep

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   EmperorAquaman,

We could do with some info on your hardware, post the brand and model name or number for the MB, CPU, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU.

Tip

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped, you should also click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah sorry about the double posting.

My specs are as followed

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

PSU: Cosair Cx series CX600M 600W ATX12V ATX12V v2.3

Processor: Intel Core i 7-4770 Haswell Quad Core 3.4 GHz

RAM: 2 4GIG Cosair Vengeance 240-Pin DDR3

Graphics Card: GeForce 660 FTW Signature 2

So basically what's happening is I had tbe pc booted up and went to "reset pc" in the Windows 10 menu. The computer restarted on me and now everytime I hook a monitor up to it it tells me hdmi signal not found

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello EmperorAquaman,

No problem and thanks for understanding  :)

This is possibly just a coincidence as in the reset and loss of HDMI signal could be unrelated.

Easiest question/s and step/s first;

Have you tried using the DVI or display port on your video card to see if you get any display.

Are you ok with working inside of the computer in case the add on video card needs to be removed for testing purposes.

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah I'm good with pulling things out and replacing if needed.

Yeah I've plugged an hdmi straight into the graphics card hdmi input and it boots into the menus for the graphics card on the monitor.

Thanks for the reply :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sorry but I seem to be missing something  :(

From your post #2

Everytime it tells me hdmi no signal on the monitor them goes back to sleep 

From your reply #6

Yeah I've plugged an hdmi straight into the graphics card hdmi input and it boots into the menus for the graphics card on the monitor. 

Can you please clarify.

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh sorry that does seem a bit confusing. let me clarify

So if I turn the pc on the fans spin up, leds come on, but if I have my hdmi cord plugged into the hdmi input attached to the motherboard then the monitor tells me there is no hdmi signal and the monitor itself has the orange sleep light on.

But if I plug the hdmi cord into the hdmi input that is on my graphics card then my display has a signal and I get all my graphics card information on my monitor.

Hope that was able to clarify

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the clarification which explains what has been going on  :thumbsup:

With desktop computer MBs that have both integrated graphics chips/ports and an add on video card fitted by default the graphics ports on the MB are disabled so what is happening is completely normal, if you were to remove the add on video card from the MB and then connect the HDMI cable to the MBs HDMI port when you power up the computer the BIOS would automatically look for an add on video card and when one was not detected the BIOS would then enable the graphics ports on the MB and your HDMI port would work.

You may wish to manually check this out yourself but I would not bother as the add on video card will provide better graphics quality than the Intel HD Graphics 4600 provided by your CPU.

JAFYI: You can in some instances disable an add on video card so that the onboard graphics become default but there is nothing to gain by doing so imo.

Hope this answers your question and puts your mind at ease, if not or you have any other questions please ask away.

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I believe I understand What you are saying. So how can I go about bringing my OS back?

I pulled out the graphics card and put the hdmi into the mb and like when the hdmi is plugged into the graphics card I'm met with a splash screen "Gigabyte. Insiston Ultra Durable" then that screen fades out and it cycles back to that screen after a moment.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok I believe I understand What you are saying. So how can I go about bringing my OS back? 

Was not aware that there was a problem with the OS as this is the first time that you have mentioned it, the no HDMI signal was due to the screen not being attached to the video card and nothing to do with Windows.

I pulled out the graphics card and put the hdmi into the mb and like when the hdmi is plugged into the graphics card I'm met with a splash screen "Gigabyte. Insiston Ultra Durable" then that screen fades out and it cycles back to that screen after a moment. 

Proves that there is nothing wrong with either graphics solution.

If you cannot boot into Windows the problem is either with Windows itself or with the storage device that Windows is on.

Is the storage device that Windows is on detected in the BIOS, if yes, is it enabled as the boot device.

Do you have a Windows 10 or system restore disk/USB thumb drive.

EmperorAquaman

EmperorAquaman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
In my bios settings I have under Boot Priorities Boot Option 1: P1: WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 which I'm assuming is my HD and then a Boot Option 2: Windows Boot Manager

I have a flash drive for Windows 7. My 10 flash drive has been misplaced in our move

Edited by EmperorAquaman, 30 March 2016 - 03:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

From your OP;

I wanted to wipe the computer to have a clean start. I went into the menu to reset the pc

When you say reset the PC do you mean the option that is available within Windows 10 itself and is intended to reload only the OS and nothing else.

Option 1 is indeed the HDD, option 2 Windows Boot Manager is what is commonly known as a System Reserved partition that is created by Windows upon installation, in Windows 7 the partition will be 100MB in size and in Windows 8 and 10 the partition will take up 350MB of HDD space, in neither instance is the partition allocated a drive letter, I mention this additional information so that you understand why I may ask certain questions along the way, for now though try changing the boot order so that Windows Boot Manager is option one and the HDD option two, save the settings and exit, commonly by pressing F10, it will depend on the outcome of this change what your options may be.

Polite reminder;

you should also click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you EmperorAquaman , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.