Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive keeps opening and closing.

• Please log in to reply

Odge

Odge

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ive seen where other people have had this problem and the people who try to help insist that it is either not plugged in completly,I have some kind of joke software that makes it do it,or that my cd drive has just died on me.I can assure you it is none of these.I know for a fact that the drive still works because Ive put a music cd in and it was playing until it opened by itself. All I know is one day I came home and it was opening and closing itself.It must have been doing it all day,but it wasnt when I left the house that morning.As of now I am using my external cd burner as the cd drive and have unplugged the cd drive from inside the computer.Ive went as far as to look at the files installed the day the problem started and I saw nothing that was not supposed to be there.No programs are running that shouldnt be and Ive cleaned out my adware and spyware several times since.Any suggestions?

Advertisements

MaverickSidewinder

MaverickSidewinder

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
This is a step-by-step tutorial on what i like to call: Physical Repair :tazz:

Step 1: Take hammer and start pounding your PC where your CD-DRIVE is.
Step 2: While your doing it blackmail Windows 98 out loud
Step 3: Take the computer to a technician and say: "I think its a virus doc"

;)

No seriously, everything i would have suggested you already did, spyware, adware, malware checks. Maybe try re-installing the CD-DRIVE (if its possible).
Did you check for viruses?

If you didn't get: AVG Antivirus

Good Luck!

- Maverick

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This is a very annoying thing that happens with Win98 machines. The way I have been able to fix it is to replace the 40 pin IDE cable with an 80 pin, and set the cdrom to cable select and hook the master connector to it. The 80 pin cable has a blue connector that goes to the motherboard, a grey connector to the slave and a black connector to the master. It fixed the problem on the machine I'm using now, and on several others. :tazz: