Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

networking with zone alarm

• Please log in to reply

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ive just set up a home network with mine and my daughters computer, and the only way she can use the internet through mine is if i turn my zonealrm off, my question is am i safe to do this, i think i am because windows firewall is still on and windows does not come up with warning about no firewall :tazz:

thanks in advance

Edited by bazz7777777, 15 June 2005 - 04:50 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Zone Alarm and McAfee can cause problems for networking because they don't tell you if they're blocking anything, or they take their time doing it. You basically have to dig into them and find the logs, make sure logging is enabled so they'll be there to find, and see what they're blocking. Then change the settings accordingly. One thing you can do is put the IPs handed out by your router in the trusted zone.
:tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Actually, it sounds like they are using internet connection sharing on the main computer, and trying to give the second computer internet access through it. If that is the case, and you are using the free version of ZoneAlarm, then yes, you will have to turn it off to let her access. If you spring for it, and purchase the professional version of ZoneAlarm, I understand that you have a decent bit of configuration ahead of you still to get the ICS to work correctly.
Having a good firewall is important, but it's not your only defense against attack. What I would recommend, would be to kick the ICS idea and just get a router. Then you can run seperate firewalls on each machine if you are really that concerned about firewalls and you won't have the old ICS/ZoneAlarm conflict.

Greazy Mcgeezy

bazz7777777

bazz7777777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank you for your knowledge

samir7399

samir7399

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hello,

try getting a copy of kerio winroute firewall which is a proxy cum firewall solution. this will protect your computer as well as those which are connecting to the internet through it.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you enable NAT Gateway in ZoneAlarm then you will be able to access the internet through the main computer. I cannot guarantee that you are able to do this on the free version though.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: