Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LED Molex

LED RGB MOLEX

• Please log in to reply

joost00719

joost00719

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if it is possible to power these LED's with a PSU from my computer with Molex.

http://www.lightinth...tml?prm=1.2.1.0

Thanks

Advertisements

KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Assuming the voltage on the connectors lines up (remember, the MOLEX connector has +5V, +12V and 2 grounds), I don't see any reason why not.

I currently have my DSL modem, my router, and a few other items running off the 12V power lead from an old PSU.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no!!! not if i'm understanding the question correctly and you want to just plug the 4 pin led strip connection into a molex plug.

the 4 connections that plug into the controller box lead are not like a molex plug connections, there is probably a single ground and then the 3 other wires are separate +12v control wires for each of the separate colour leds in the strip, leds only need a single + and - connection to work.

can you power the control box by connecting it to a molex plug then yes probably, it looks like that doesn't come with it's own power supply and you need to supply your own with 12v 24watt capability.

so wiring a molex plug to a power jack to be connected to the control box should work yes. molex connection 12v can handle over 100watts.

just make sure you connect the + and - of the jack correctly to orientation the controller box needs, eg, yellow +12v to centre pin of jack, black ground to outer - connection if that is what the controller box says, then the strip plugs into the 4 pin lead from the control box and everything should work.

personally i'd test it on a psu that is not in use by anything just in case, wouldn't want to see you fry your whole pc testing it. :D

eg. something like this 12v_molex_lead_1_medium.jpg

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 30 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.