Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wifi connection more reliable on iPad than on iMac

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

We have wifi connection problems from time to time and suspect that a crackly telephone line may sometimes be implicated, (though persuading BT, our ISP, that this is the case and something that should be remedied is reputed to be difficult). We have had a BT engineer here and he made some adjustments to our hardware arrangements and gave us a new BT Home Hub 4, but didn't actually replace the little box on the outside of our house that we think looks dodgy enough to be contributing to the problems.

After the engineer came things were a lot better, but we still get bad days when the connection cuts out, on and off, all day.

This is a nuisance of course, but what worries me is that sometimes the connection is down on the iMac when it is ok on my iPad (the iPad at these times being located just a few inches from the iMac). Both are connected wirelessly to the router. In case it's not obvious, the reason I'm worried is that this suggests to me that there is something wrong with the iMac. 

I have mentioned this to an Apple Support person and he said that he didn't think he could achieve anything because the problem was intermediate. I can sort of understand that - more to the point, of course, is the fact that by definition he wouldn't be able to access the computer remotely when the problem was active!

I have also consulted a Mac users' forum. Lots of people made suggestions about improving the wifi situation generally, but I don't think anyone addressed my concern about the mystery of the wifi working for the iPad (sometimes) when it won't for the iMac - when they are situated in pretty nearly the same place.

Two of the attachments were taken at as near as possible the same time (the time included in the filename for the screenshot saying "There is no internet connection"), but the screenshot of the iPad at this time saved itself as a TextEd. file and when I tried to attach it here I discovered this was a format I was not allowed to upload. So I did a new screenshot (on the iMac) of the TextEd. file, if you see what I mean.

Screen Shot of iMac 2016-03-28 at 01.18.51.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 17.20.42.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 17.22.46.png

Any suggestions please?

Sue

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

Hello sue.words,

I see that your iMac has a "Self-Assigned IP address".  Try the instructions in the quote below from THIS SITE.

When people perform major configuration changes to their systems, sometimes the settings may not migrate properly. One that seems particularly vulnerable to odd problems is the system firewall. Luckily the fix is a relatively easy one; all you have to do is remove the firewall's preferences and then reboot the system.

To reset the firewall, go to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer. After the system boots, you may be prompted to allow incoming connections to numerous programs and services, so accept these for now (you can always go to the Firewall settings and deny or remove entries later on) and then try connecting to the network again. While configuration changes from migrating or restoring a system can lead to this problem, at other times major system crashes or power outages can do the same.

Please keep us updated on the matter.  Good luck!  :thumbsup:

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Thank you for your post, Fusionbomb

I have just followed your instructions and of course can't tell you yet whether it has had an effect on the worrying experience I reported, but I will report back once or more in the next few days if an effect becomes apparent.

I can add a little to what I said in my earlier post and report something that has changed probably (?) because of what I've just done.

Until recently I had a wireless Kodak printer and as part of the booting-up process I got a little pop-up (see attached screenshot) related to this printer.

I recently pensioned off this printer and replaced it, but this little pop-up continued to appear every time I booted up. (When I had a remote assistance session with Apple Care recently the person tried to get rid of it for me but failed.) So it has persisted - just as a minor irritant.

When I restarted just now, contrary to what the instructions predicted might happen, there were NO requests for permission  - not even this Kodak one. So, something has changed, and - touch wood - for the better.

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted.

Attached Thumbnails

• Kodak Bonjour.png

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

Everything seem to be running smoother?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Y-e-e-e-s  - things are definitely much better, thank you. The reason I've put that hesitating yes is that since I took your advice there has been one recurrence of the type of thing I described in my first post. I think it was two or three days ago. Up until that point I had been thinking the problem was solved. I'm just not sure at the moment. If in a week or two I haven't had another recurrence (or not more than say two or three times) I'll come back and mark that the problem appears to have been solved.

I hope you think that's ok. Thank you again anyhow - things have certainly improved. 

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

I'm really sad to say that as I type this the iMac is showing no connection and the iPad is able to access the internet as normal.

Out of interest I have just repeated the steps you described in your first post above. (Is it surprising that there was a file called "com.apple.alf.plist"  there again? Anyhow, I have again deleted it.)

I wondered if the connection would spontaneously renew itself and it didn't. I then applied my usual remedy and manually (at the wifi dropdown menu  top right of the iMac screen) switched the wifi off and then on again. It needed two tries but then the connection was alive again.

This remedy works more often than not (so long as the router is not showing a problem), but it will be interesting to see whether deleting the file you mentioned again leads to a reduction in the number of interruptions to the iMac's connections.

Should I be routinely checking for the existence of this file - every few days, say - and deleting it when I see it there?

PS Thanks again for taking an interest

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

That file will be reborn each time the Mac is restarted, I assume.

I'll have to check on possible other solutions.  Sorry I do not have anything else to try at the moment.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Sorry I do not have anything else to try at the moment.

No sorry needed! I really appreciate your interest.

Do you think it makes sense for me to repeat this procedure from time to time?

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

Do you think it makes sense for me to repeat this procedure from time to time?

That should not be necessary.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Well, all's ok at the moment. Long may this state of affairs last! Things are definitely improved.