Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply

bigjohnpc

bigjohnpc

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Just attempted to install Ubuntu 16.04 beta over 14.04. I have used 14.04 for a couple of years with no issues whatsoever. However during the installation (by download) the new installation froze 2/3 of the way through.

I am using a two hard disc sustem 1x 128g disc running XP and a second x250g running Ubuntu 14.04. Storage no issue.

Now, when I start up and reaching the options page, booting Ubuntu results in a blank screen. No mouse or Keyboard operational.

Reverting to Advanced options I can enter the generic recovery mode

All options tried, Resume, Clean, Failsafe X, FSCK, grub, network, root, System Summary.

If I then go to resume Ubuntu The screen displays white square blocks and lines in between. No mouse or keyboard operational.

Summary, I think I may have damaged the initial 14.04 programme with the part installation of 16.04.

With no keyboard and mouse I am struggling to find a way forward.

I now also have iso discs for 14.04 and 16.04

Hope the forum can help.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

is there data on the ubuntu system you don't want to lose? if so then first thing i'd do is use a live cd to copy the data from the ubuntu drive to the windows drive and then just try to do a clean install of ubuntu 16.04.

from my understanding it is not possible to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04. (only LTS versions, which of course the beta is not.)

if you were not trying to do an upgrade and was tying to do a clean install and it froze, then i'd suspect there may be a problem with the iso disc/burn of 16.04 so would recommend you creating a new install medium and trying to do the clean install again.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 30 March 2016 - 11:12 AM.

bigjohnpc

bigjohnpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

thanks Terry.

Nothing on Ubuntu I cannot back up from elsewhere.  So it looks like a clean install. Incidentally 16.04 did come as a download via Ubuntu and was this upgrade that froze. 

Would I install through XP ? as all key and mouse gestures dont operate via Ubuntu.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

the keyboard and mouse should work just fine when you boot the ubuntu 16.04 disk and start a clean install.

we can try and fix the problem with the failed upgrade if you like but in all honesty it will take ages for me to try and figure out where the problem is, so your much better off just doing the clean install.

if the keyboard and mouse do not work when 16.04 has loaded it's kernel to run the install process then we'd need to look into it, but they should just work.

and you never install linux from inside a running windows os so no you would not install through xp.

:popcorn: