Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple monitors problem (Resolved).

Multiple monitors TV-PC Resolution

Best Answer James Hydra , 03 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

I would like to ask the moderators to close this thread. The problem was the 28 inch TV.For some reason it would mess up the resolution when powered up. My fix to the problem has been to... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

James Hydra

James Hydra

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi:

I'm hoping someone can help me here. This problem has been driving me nuts for 2 years now!!

First.......

My hardware specs:

Windows 10 Pro

X99S SLI PLUS (MS-7885) MoBo

Intel Core i7 5930K CPU

16 Gb Ram

1 DELL 1907FP (1280x1024) (via DVI) ...&... 28" RCA LCDTV (1920x1080) (via HDMI)....connected to AMD Radeon HD 6670.

1 DELL 1907FP (1280x1024) (via DVI) ...&... 60" Panasonic 3D HDTV (1920x1080) (via HDMI)...connected to AMD Radeon HD 6670.

1200 watt power supply

The problem I have is .......

When I have both Dell monitors on, and I turn the 65" TV on or off, everything is perfectly fine.

But when I turn on the 29" TV, all screens go black, then back to normal, but all post-it notes and Icons, on all monitors, move all over the place, and have to be moved back to where I had previously placed them.

I don't understand why one TV is fine, while the other messes everything up, meanwhile the Graphics cards, cables and connectors are all identical!!!

I have tried different hook-up combinations between the 2 cards and 4 monitors with no change to the problem. 

I use DisplayFusion Pro v5.1 to move the Icons back, and I move the post-it notes back manually, but I would prefer not to have to use additional software just for this purpose.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful !!!

Majix.

Edited by James Hydra, 02 April 2016 - 08:06 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   James Hydra,

First thoughts are that it could be power related, have you tried connecting or is the 29" TV on its own power outlet.

Couple of questions if I may;

Is the 29" TV here the same model that you have.

What happens if you;

Leave the 65" TV off and power up the 29" TV on its own.

The 29" TV and one Dell monitor.

The 29" TV and the two Dell monitors.

Have the 29" TV on one card and 1, 2 or 3 displays on the other card, this should not make much difference due to the cards being in Crossfire but needs to be checked in case it does change the behaviour in any way.

NB: Regarding the 65" TV, this screen on its own needs 2GB of VRam to support it so four devices connected to two cards will be a drain on performance and especially as the cards concerned are entry level and could potentially be 5 years old. 

James Hydra

James Hydra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks for your input.

-The cards might not be gamer quality, but I don't game, so they are fine for me.

(Both brand new and 2Gb each so no problem there either)

-The HD6670's cannot be set up "Crossfire" (I wish they could), so that's out too.

-As I stated above.....I have tried every different combination of connections anyone could possibly conceive of with and without power on..

It doesn't matter what is on or off, or how they are connected, the same thing happens every time when connected as a whole.

-And no, that is not the TV. My mistake, it is the 28 inch RCA from Walmart.

Here are both T.V.'s:

-The 28" TV is wall mounted above both Dell 19" monitors in a triangle shape, while the 60" TV is mounted on another wall.

-I also have a 1200 watt power supply to handle everything.

-From another forum, it seems it has to do with Windows detecting wrong resolution or something like that when two T.V.'s are connected......it's NOT the hardware.

Edited by James Hydra, 03 April 2016 - 06:37 PM.

James Hydra

James Hydra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
✓  Best Answer

I would like to ask the moderators to close this thread.

The problem was the 28 inch TV.

For some reason it would mess up the resolution when powered up.

My fix to the problem has been to connect it via an Arkview USB Display Adapter, as opposed to any graphics card.

The problem has finally disappeared !!

Thank you to anyone who read this post hoping to be of assistance.

Majix.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

FWIW: The reason why I asked if the particular TV was yours was to check the specs;

From your OP;

1 DELL 1907FP (1280x1024) (via DVI) ...&... 28" RCA LCDTV (1920x1080) (via HDMI).

The specs for your TV here state;

SpecificationsType-

Variant_4 720p HDTV

720p = 1280 x 720 (16:9 aspect ratio) trying this resolution would have been what I would have suggested but no need to worry now the issue is resolved.

Tech topics are not normally closed unless it is for a particular reason and so this thread will remain open.