Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Google Chrome wont open (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling Norton and using Windows Defender for testing purposes, if not a problem see here, please make a note of your Norton activation key. If the proble... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Couple of things shown in AutoRuns

"McAfee ELAM Driver"

Use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) see Windows 10 information here

"n/a" "Microsoft .NET IE SECURITY REGISTRATION" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\syswow64\mscories.dll" "25/09/2015 01:12" ""

For how to repair or reinstall IE see here

Advertisements

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

After you last reply I did what you said and I downloaded chrome back onto my computer and it downloaded fine which it hadn't done before. it worked fine for a day or so, but today it went back to the same problem of not opening.

I used reimage again and it came up with the following faults.

Atierecord has crashed

Microsoft-windows-immersive-shell has crashed

Realplayerupdatesvc has crashed

microsoftedgecp.exe has crashed

svchost.exe-mapsbroker has crashed.

I ran the repair and chrome is working again so I presume that one of the previous issues is causing the problem and I'm sure it will cause it to stop working again soon

Edited by covphoenix, 20 April 2016 - 06:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

If the issue happens again before doing anything else can you run AutoRuns again and post a fresh log for us please.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

so I just used chrome 5-10 mins ago and it was fine. I closed it then I tried going into chrome again and it wouldn't open. Attached is the autoruns file

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
✓  Best Answer

Would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling Norton and using Windows Defender for testing purposes, if not a problem see here, please make a note of your Norton activation key.

If the problem persists with Norton uninstalled I will ask for a second pair of eyes to take a look and most likely from the security experts.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

ok ive uninstalled norton and chrome loaded up ok. What do i need to do now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Make sure that Windows Defender is running, see here

Use your computer as you normally would to see if the problem reoccurs and get back to us with the outcome.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Everything seems to be running ok without Norton so I presume the issue is with Norton. What is the next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Leave things as they are for at least 72hrs then post back with an update for us please  :thumbsup:

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

ok ive still had no problems since removing norton

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Yes Norton is a paid version however I have only just switched to it from mcafee and the problems started when mcafee was installed.

and when it downloaded it gave me a zip folder which I then opened it from there

As Norton is a paid for product and only recently purchased if you want to give it another try, create a new restore point, make sure that all software is fully updated and then try installing Norton again, if the problem reappears uninstall Norton again and contact their customer support here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Not heard back from you covphoenix , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Hi, I installed Norton a couple of days ago and when i tried chrome today it had stopped working again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Definitely looks like Norton is the problem then, you can contact Symantec support here or you may want to try uninstalling it again and trying a free AV such as Avast or stick with Windows Defender, please let us know how you go on with it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Have you made any progress with this covphoenix.