Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google Chrome wont open (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Would you be ok with temporarily uninstalling Norton and using Windows Defender for testing purposes, if not a problem see here, please make a note of your Norton activation key. If the proble... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

covphoenix

covphoenix

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi,

Recently ive had a problem with chrome not opening on windows 10. I uninstalled it and when i tried to download it again it wouldnt.

I managed to eventually do it by downloading it offline but it still wont open.

Can you help me please.

Thanks 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello covphoenix,

If the problem is only with Chrome, download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi,

I downloaded speccy, but it wont open for me. Its similar to what happens with chrome, I get the egg timer appear but nothing happens after that

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you covphoenix  :(

Try Speccy portable which you will find here

If still no joy, post back and let us know what anti virus software and Firewall you have running please.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Hi, i downloaded that and it opened, but it only has the load snapshot available to click on. the other options are greyed out.

Im using norton

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Norton could be preventing you from opening Speccy and Chrome, is Norton a paid for product or free.

Are the steps below what you tried for Speccy Portable;

(1) Click on then Open.

(2) Run.

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Yes Norton is a paid version however I have only just switched to it from mcafee and the problems started when mcafee was installed.

and when it downloaded it gave me a zip folder which I then opened it from there

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I tried to open chrome about half an hour ago to see if it would work. It has just opened just now but it is not working. it will not let me open any webpages

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Forget Speccy for now please.

The problem started when you had McAfee installed, did you already have another AV software running when you installed McAfee.

Was McAfee fully uninstalled before you installed Norton How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Not around for a few hrs due to other commitments but will try and check back later.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

No, whenever I have changed antivirus I have fully uninstalled any other antivirus first

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Post an Autoruns log for us if you can please, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Everything" tab

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Done everything, but when I tried to open the file which I am going to attach it is telling me it is corrupt. I tried it again but with the same result

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can I ask if Windows has been updating ok, KB3140741 was the last installed Windows 10 update on this machine and dated 22/03/2016, do you have this installed.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs\

covphoenix

covphoenix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Just tried to get into windows update to see if it is upto date and it will not work either.

Should I still do the second part?

Edited by covphoenix, 06 April 2016 - 04:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yes see if you are able to run the AIO repair please;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs\