Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 IDE cable witha hard-drive & cd drive?

• Please log in to reply

buster126

buster126

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm trying to build a PC for the first time and I finally have all the peices except for a new SATA harddrive so I want to use my old hard drive thats not SATA but uses the IDE cable. I was wondering if It is possible to use the 2 connection IDE cable to put a harddrive and a cd- drive on it at once? And then I really dont understand the deal about MASTER and SLAVE. Whats that about and which one needs to be set to what? Thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
HI
Your MB should have 2 places for ide cables one is used for your harddrives and the other is used for your cd-roms. On harddrives the master is your boot drive and slave is your 2nd harddrive. Master is the last plug on your ide cable and slave is the 2nd one in.
:tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi buster126...Welcome to G2G!

Yes...your can install your hard drive and a cd-rom drive with one IDE cable.

If you have been using the hard drive previously as a primary drive (one with operating system on it, then it is most likely already set as a master. Hook it to the end connector on the cable (opposite the blue one...that one goes to the MoBo (IDE 1).

If you are using a new cd-rom, most come with the jumpers set to Cable Select (CS) and this position should work with most new Mother Boards...if it doesn't, check the documentation that came with your drive and set the jumper to Slave (SL). Connect this drive to the center connector on the cable.

It you are using a previously used cd-rom, it may have been used as a secondary master (but I doubt it...most are used as slaves) you'll want to check the jumpers. Many manufacturers will either print the jumper settings (diagram) on a label on the case or stamp it into the case. Some label the pins at the jumper location simply MA (Master), CS (Cable Select), and SL (Slave)...choose the slave settings to be on the safe side.

Make sure your BIOS is set to AUTO detect for all drives and fire that puppy up!

wannabe1

buster126

buster126

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thnx people, now let's see if I can get it to work hehe :tazz: