Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My HTPC Plex Media Server Build

• Please log in to reply

Danny Olsson

Danny Olsson

• Pip
  • 8 posts

First I wanted to cut cable and go internet only, and then burn my music and DVD library so I can access it anywhere.  Work sends me out of town semi regularly for weeks at a time,  this way I only need WIFi at the hotel and my laptop.   

I used an old HP Intel Core i3-2120 Processor PC I had replaced and decided to use it as a Plex media server.  It was a machine that wouldn't allow any upgrades, so I was stuck with what it was and came with.  It was upgraded to windows 10 but had weird quirks.  I had added an external 4TB My Book drive in addition to the 1tb it came with.  But it wouldn't let me stream and burn and do more than a couple things at one time without stopping to a slow crawl.

So when I started to research what I wanted, I first went to to plex and used their recommendations was on what roughly the CPU should be.

https://support.plex...-for-my-Server-

Using the http://cpubenchmark.net/ my HP had a benchmark of 3875 and in using the machine, 2 people couldn't stream at one time reliably at 640x480.  If I had wiped the computer and did a fresh install and put on just the few programs I needed I probably would have had better results.

I wanted a PC that would fit in with my Audio receiver under the TV and didn't look like a standard PC.

The parts I chose are the -

I wanted Intel, 6Gbs SATA., PCI Express x16 slot, HDMI port and Micro ATX size to fit the type of case I had in mind.

Motherboard-

Gigabyte LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B85M-DS3H-A

For the CPU I went with the 

Intel Core i5-4460 LGA 1150 CPU with a 6620 passmark. I had a few options, but looking at different CPUs, in a lot I would only gain maybe 1000 in the benchmark but the expense went up over $100 in cost of the CPU. 

Since Plex is more CPU intensive, for memory I went with -

Kingston HyperX FURY 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM 

So next I went with a SSD and Windows 10

Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive.   I only installed the Windows on this, the start up time is seconds now!

For storage of Plex, my ripping software and Playon I used a 1 TB drive-

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX

The case I went for the 

Thermaltake Urban SD1 Micro Case CA-1A9-00S1NN-00 Black with Antec VP-450 Power Supply.

The case is really cool and it let me use an extra Ati Radeon hd 7700 xfx graphics card I already had.  I then purchased a couple used DVD drives for $10 each from my local PC store.

Cost was about $650 plus what I already had on hand.

I have a Sony Str-DH750 receiver for my surround and it allows HDMI inputs from my graphics card.  Since this is in my living room, I didn't want a normal PC keyboard/mouse and I had been using a Rii mini X1 2.4G wireless keyboard with touchpad which has been great.   One of the things I didn't do was add a WiFi / Bluetooth card to the PC so for the keypad it uses a USB bluetooth adapter.   The PC is connected by a cable to my network.

I also reused my external 4tb My book and an external LG BluRay player I got for my laptop.  I'm about to add another 4tb drive to this.

Testing, I've had 2 friends stream, while I've been watching a movie and ripping two movies at the same time.  None of us had any problems watching at 720x480.  I have a few blurays but have only added a few at HD quality yet, so I don't know how mulitple people streaming them will do yet.  

Where I'm at now is a library with 11000 songs and audiobooks, 1500 movies and 3000 TV episodes.  I'm about a 3rd of the way through my TV shows and I really don't know how many I have left.  When I get through, I plan on reripping my movies at the highest quality and sound, now that I can watch and store them with ease.

2i6yp86.jpg

rqxiyv.jpg

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

very nice. :thumbsup:

last htpc i built (for daughter.) skylake system had a quad hd tuner, 250gb m2 os drive and 4TB storage and used this case :- http://www.amazon.co...1_t2_B004HE2YZE

was perfect for her but i want a bit more space in mine for a dedicated graphics card, was thinking of this case http://www.amazon.co...1_t2_B00DBUMRBGbut may have to re-think that now i've seen your choice of case.

what's the noise like with those smaller fans? and what sort of temps do you get when encoding?

:popcorn:

Danny Olsson

Danny Olsson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

what's the noise like with those smaller fans? and what sort of temps do you get when encoding?

Thanks.

It's quiet.  I can barely hear them on the couch with no sound on and running about 1200-1400RPM.  If anything is on, I can't hear them at all, the disk drives are loud.  

Temps, I'm getting lows at 31°C and streaming with 2 disks running the max has been 55°C. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

thanks. :spoton:

:popcorn: