Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A stable consistent torrent download but no web browsing or updates/do

• Please log in to reply

WillDraperBasinski

WillDraperBasinski

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem whereby I know I have a good wifi signal, any torrent I set to download will do so just fine. But if I try to access any web page past the intital google homepage or search to bring up links, it will say timed out, data not sent, connection error etc. Sometimes it wont even connect to google. Additionally, it will not enable any regular official downloads or updates. I have tried to install malwarebytes from a usb drive but it wont acknowledge a connection long enough to instal this, nor new version of firefox or chrome should I remove them for a reinstal. An old offline instal of chrome on a cd I had has dissapeared recently, I suspect someone has put a virus on my system while I was away from it for a good 24hrs +.

Can anyone give me any tech advice and/or links to full offline installers you can download seperately ready complete? For example firefox or chrome, or malwarebytes etc?

Edited by WillDraperBasinski, 06 April 2016 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Hi WillDraperBasinski, and welcome to Geeks To Go.

I would make a healthy bet that nobody "put" a virus on your system, but instead you got an infection from downloading torrents.  Torrents are notorious for containing malware.

My suggestion is to read the Malware and Spyware cleaning guide found here and if you can't clean it yourself, make a post in the Malware removal forum.