Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8.1 won't boot (Resolved).

Wont respond to any f keys

Best Answer redsox1 , 14 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

It was the CPU. I bought a new HP 2000 with Windows 10 (all I could afford). So far, I'm learning. Thanks for all the help!!!! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

redsox1

redsox1

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Been having trouble with this thing for a long, but till now, I've kept it going. It started acting up a couple days ago, then wouldn't boot I finally got it ging and after awhile, it shut down. I got to repair start somehow, and about a half hour later it shut down. Now all I get is a black screen, flashing caps lock button ( 3-4 seconds coninually) and orange wi fi light. I've done a hard start, reset the hard drive, and start and stop to get repair. (can't really tell cause Windows isn't starting.)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello redsox1,

Now all I get is a black screen, flashing caps lock button ( 3-4 seconds coninually) 

You say flashing continually but is it possible that it flashes a certain number of times then a brief pause before the same blink pattern is repeated, if yes, count the number of blinks and then post back.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

I counted 50 in a row, about 4-5 seconds apart.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Most odd as HP error LED blinks are a maximum of six, see LEDs near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys blink when starting the notebook information here

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Nothing there helped, it just sat there winking at me.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Tried holding down Windows key + b then f12. That made the blinking change to 1, indicating CPU, according to the link.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you redsox1  :(

Tried holding down Windows key + b then f12. That made the blinking change to 1, indicating CPU, according to the link.

Does not sound too promising  :(

Couple of questions if I may;

When you first press the power on button;

1: Can you hear the cooling fan running.

2: Can you access the BIOS by tapping one of the following keys F1, F10 or F11.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Don't hear the fan. Can't access anything. I took the cover off the back (hard driver) and found a small.black thing ( 1"x 3/4") with 2 words going to it. One was unplugged. could have been original.problem. Taking it to shop today. I'll let you know. Yjamks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update redsox1 and fingers crossed that you have found the problem  :thumbsup:

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Thanks. Hope it's cheap. lol

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
✓  Best Answer

It was the CPU. I bought a new HP 2000 with Windows 10 (all I could afford). So far, I'm learning. Thanks for all the help!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome redsox1 and enjoy your new computer  :thumbsup: