Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB type A to Type C cables

• Please log in to reply

tsuf

tsuf

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Re the new usb type C and usb version 3.1 I get that the type is the physical connector, and that the 3.1 is the latest standard a port could utilize. What I don't get is the type A to type C connector cables. This is fine for connecting backward to 2.0 , or 3.0 etc. But how can a type A port (and connector) support all the features of 3.1 ? All my reading (dozens of discussions) have not said anything about this. It seems 3.1 requires a lot of wires, more than a Type A connector/port has, is that true, meaning Type A cannot carry full 3.1 features. Or in other words, no Type A port will ever support full 3.1?

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no your wrong, usb 3.1 is just the industry standard and offers transfer speeds of upto 10Gbs with greater power delivery specifications than earlier usb standards and is backwards compatible with devices that use an earlier usb version.

the usb standard can use any type of connection, same as the earlier standards, so either type a or type c connection type can be used.

the only real difference between type a and type c is size and that type c can be inserted into the port in any orientation whereas the type a connection will only fit in 1 way.

so you don't gain or lose anything to do with the usb 3.1 standard depending on what connection type is used, a or c.

usb 3.1 type a ports are coloured red, where as the older usb 3.0 type a was coloured blue.

link that explains everything :- http://www.digitaltr...-it-do-for-pcs/

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 09 April 2016 - 05:42 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please ignore Infomation in this post as it is wrong.  

It seems 3.1 requires a lot of wires, more than a Type A connector/port has, is that true,

Yes.

meaning Type A cannot carry full 3.1 features.

Yes.

Or in other words, no Type A port will ever support full 3.1?

yes.

Most articles I have read, do not make it clear that the USB Host controller on the computer, determines the function of the port.  If you use an adapter, type A, male, (USB 2.0/3.0 controller) to type C, male/female,  and you connect a device requiring USB 3.1, Data transfer will be limited to the Host controller, backward compatibility. 

Providing, I think,

The connected device does not require more voltage/amps than the Host controller can deliver.   Possible the device may malfunction if it requires more voltage/amps than is delivered.   I see that Belkin has a chip incorporated into their cable to ensure that the correct current is delivered from a type C port to a connected device.   I would surmise this is for over voltage, don't know if this covers under voltage. 

http://www.belkin.co...e-Center/USB-C/

Edited by iammykyl, 15 April 2016 - 07:07 AM.
wrong/incorrect information.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry iammy but i think your wrong, usb 3.1 can be and is fully utilized regardless of or by both type a and type c connections.

ie. you can get the full upto 10Gbs speed using both type a and type c.

no idea what features you think can't be gotten through the type a connection, but am more than willing for you to point them out if i'm mistaken in my understanding of the usb 3.1 specifications so i can improve my knowledge. (don't forget usb 3.1 is just the data transfer rate and has nothing at all to do with what connection is used.)

http://www.usb.org/developers/ssusb

from pdf download link:-

USB 3.1 Naming and Packaging Recommendations

It is critical for manufacturers to distinguish between USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 products.
USB-IF also strongly urges manufacturers to identify the performance capabilities of a product separately from other protocols or physical characteristics in product names and marketing materials.

Please note the following:
-
USB 3.1 only defines the transfer rate of a product.

USB 3.1 is not USB Type-C™, USB Standard-A, Micro-USB, or any other USB cable or connector.

USB 3.1 is not USB Power Delivery or USB Battery Charging.

Edited by terry1966, 10 April 2016 - 04:43 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday terry1966.

Sorry for the long delay in replying.

Yes, got it wrong, posting a modified answer.

Gday tsurf.

My apologies for the incorrect information.   I hope the following clears things up. 

This article gives the clearest picture of USB I have so far seen.

>  http://blog.macsales...simple-as-1-2-3

Note.  The USB MB controller is the part that defines the USB protocol (and therefore speed/power available) which it supports. The Port, type A or C, which can handle USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps) is identical to one which can handle USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps). The difference is which version the controller on the MB port supports.  The device attached to the MB Port will function at the speed/power available on that port. 

It seems 3.1 requires a lot of wires, more than a Type A connector/port has,

USB 2.0 type A port has 4 pin out,

USB 3.0 AK 3.1 Gen 1.0, type A port and USB 3.1 Gen 2.0 type A port are physically identical, having 9 pin out.  The difference is the Data speed.

USB 3.1 type C port has 24 pin out.  The Data speed has not changed, just how communication is implemented  + power management, > http://www.androidau...eatures-673002/

A USB 3.0/3.1 type A port needs 5 more connections than a USB 2.0 type A port and the C type port needs an additional 15 connections. 

meaning Type A cannot carry full 3.1 features.

USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 type A ports don't support USB 3.1 Gen 2.0.

Or in other words, no Type A port will ever support full 3.1?

No, a USB type A port with the supporting USB controller, will support full USB 3.1 Gen 2.0,

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

excellent explanation iammy, much better than mine. :spoton:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks terry1966.

Getting pulled up lets one know your not infallible and keeps you on your toes.