Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing a second operating system (Solved)

Best Answer jamiedot , 25 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thank you each of you for your patience and advice. Everything here is fine and you have made an old man very happy. Best Wishes, Jamiedot Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello everyone. Before I detail my problem it is necessary to explain that as far as computer software is concerned I am a highly professional amateur.  If the help you may generously provide is not of the 'monkey see, monkey do' variety I will make a mess of it.

​Currently my OS is Windows 8.1 and I wish to remove XP - a second OS. Searches on the internet have produced a very good site, but the instructions appear to be for an older OS. The instructions fail to work after a few steps because the prompts etc. that are called for, cannot be found (by me) in Windows 8.1.

If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful (with limitations).

Thanks in anticipation,

Jamiedot

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Jamiedot,

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager which you can access by pressing the WIN and X keys together on your keyboard, alternatively from Windows 8.1 update you can right-click with the mouse or stylus on the Start button to bring up the menu. 

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thank you for a quick response, the required screen shot is attached.

Regards,

Jamiedot

Attached Thumbnails

• Disc management screen.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Often happens but please do not let it put you off :no:  continue offering your much appreciated and valued Tech support here at GTG  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad to hear it and sticking around sounds like a good plan  :)

Hey there paws, thank you for your wiser words  :)  :thumbsup:

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been unwell. Although I will be 72 years old this year, its not my age that disrupts life, but an underlying health problem. I do appreciate that you offer help willingly and freely and I would not ignore your efforts without a good reason.

It may not be relevant to my question, but the locations of the operating systems are : -

Windows 8.1  -  which I wish to retain     -     volume  C

Windows XP   -  which I wish to delete    -     volume E

As to the removal of the D partition, I have no idea. Your advice will be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

jamiedot

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Attached are some screen shots, I hope they are adequate.

Attached Thumbnails

• Volume C.jpg
  • Volume D.jpg
  • Volume E.jpg
  • Volume F.jpg

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

just some precautionary advice.

the first thing i'd do before doing anything is to make a complete backup drive image so you can restore everything to how it is now just in case things go wrong.

wouldn't surprise me if 1 of those partitions wasn't the dell xp restore partition used to factory restore the pc.

:popcorn:

jamiedot

jamiedot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you each of you for your patience and advice. Everything here is fine and you have made an old man very happy.

Best Wishes,

Jamiedot