Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to get Outlook 2007 back to out-of-box state?

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Greetings.

Computer was just built for me; running Win 7, AVG free. Next program tried installing, Outlook 2007. Finally had enough of password pop-ups and server rejected my login errors. Searched the web, found numerous fixes. None worked. Wanting to get Outlook 2007 back to out-of-box state, short of reinstalling. Do not have disc. Maybe something is corrupted somewhere. Wanting to remove all traces that I have tried to use it so I can start over clean. Is there anyway to do this? 

joe

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello tjmcs,

Perhaps these steps can help?

Step 1

Close Microsoft Outlook 2007.

Step 2

Click the Start button and select "Computer" from the menu to open the native file manager.

Step 3

Select the system drive -- usually "C:" -- from the left pane.

Step 4

Open the "Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" folder, where "UserName" is the name of your user account.

Step 5

Right-click the "outcmd.dat" file and select "Rename" from the context menu.

Step 6

Type "outcmd.old" as the new name and press "Enter" to rename the file.

Step 7

Launch Microsoft Outlook 2007, a new outcmd.dat file is automatically created, and all settings are reset to their default values.

Good luck!

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Any luck?

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Sorry for delay, Fusionbomb.Usually get an email when someone replies. Did not get it this time.

Will try. Where I am at now, is I have deleted the profile. Now, when I try to create a new one, I get the password pop-up when it looks for a server.

joe

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Fusionbomb, tried suggestion. No luck.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Another possible solution:

1. Go into the two %userprofile% microsoft\outlook folders and delete all of the files. (http://www.outlook-t...er/filepath.htm)

2. Go to Control panel, Mail and delete the profiles.

3. Go into the registry and delete the outlook key - then do a repair install.  The key is at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook.

(There is a second outlook key with addin info - that shouldn't need to be deleted. )

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Your link is a dead-end.