Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i7 CPU core VS thread. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 April 2016 - 05:02 AM

TeaWrekTR, I did a little research, and found out that my CPU is actually quad core, with 8 threads. So, what does this mean for me? Do I only have the power of 4 cores? ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

TeaWrekTR

TeaWrekTR

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guys,

I am somewhat confused about my CPU. I have an i7 860 CPU, clocked in at 2.8ghz, with 3.4ghz Turbo-boosting. I initially thought that it was an octa core CPU, as when I looked in my computer's hardware, CPU, it showed 8 cores with my CPU's name.

I did a little research, and found out that my CPU is actually quad core, with 8 threads. So, what does this mean for me? Do I only have the power of 4 cores? If a game required an 8 core CPU, would I be unable to run it since I only have 4 cores? Why would they give me 4 cores instead of 8? Please help, this is very confusing for me. I used to boast that my PC had more raw CPU power than the XBOX ONE, but now it seems that this isn't the case.

Thanks in Advance,

Tea

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   TeaWrekTR,

I did a little research, and found out that my CPU is actually quad core, with 8 threads. So, what does this mean for me? Do I only have the power of 4 cores? 

Your CPU has HyperThreading capabilities which from what I understand gives around a 30% increase in processing power over a stock 4 core processor, you would only benefit or notice this by maxing out the processor, something that no current game will do.

If a game required an 8 core CPU, would I be unable to run it since I only have 4 cores?

Not aware of any game were the programmers state that an 8 core CPU is required, they may recommend a certain Intel CPU or an AMD equivalent that just so happens to be an 8 core.

Why would they give me 4 cores instead of 8? 

When you purchased the computer or the CPU if obtained separate did you ask for an 8 core processor or were you told that the i7 860 had 8 cores, most likely neither as you are looking at almost $1000 for an 8 core i7 CPU at today`s rates, example here

Your CPU will be fine with most games and the only thing that may let it down is the memory speed limitations of 1066 and 1333MHz respectively.

Hope this answers your question.

TeaWrekTR

TeaWrekTR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for responding phillpower2,

Yes, that definitely helps and makes sense. I was basically just worried that I would be unable to run any 2016/2017 games nicely, but I think I will still be able to for a while, even with a quad core CPU at 3.4ghz turbo boosted. I mean, Fallout 4 only requires an Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz, which is a 4 core/thread CPU at 2.8ghz.

Also, can anyone tell me how I can turbo boost my CPU up to 3.4ghz? And if I turbo boost my CPU, will it shorten it's life?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and glad we could help  :)

You need to activate Turbo Boost in the BIOS, you can then use Argus Monitor to check on performance, free download here

Turbo Boost is effectively overclocking the CPU, used in moderation it will be fine but overdoing it will shorten the lifespan of the processor, you should also keep in mind the following, the CPU is only capable of optimum performance when it is complimented by sufficient amount and speed of Ram, a good quality add on video card, a good quality and adequate output PSU and often overlooked a good cooling fan set up.