Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding DVD/CD RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I need to add a DVD/CD RW drive to a Dell Insperion computer. I got all ready to do this but I can't seem to get the plastic "plug" off of the front. My experience adding hardware is limited and I don't know how hard to push on it. It almost seems as if it's going to break the plastic on the floppy drive.

Am I doing something wrong or should I just go ahead and push harder?

Thanks!

Advertisements

downtown

downtown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
You have to open up the computer on the side, then remove the plastic spacer from the inside. If you push on it from the front, it's going to break.

If you're using two CD drives, before installing the new CD-RW drive, you'll have to configure it to be a secondary drive. Search your installation manual for 'Master / Slave', so you can find out what to set the plastic jumper pin on the back of the drive at, for the 'Slave' setting.

The hard drive cable that connects both drives to your computer will have three plugs...one end connects to your motherboard, the other end connects to the primary drive, and the middle plug connects to the secondary (CD-RW) drive. Don't forget to plug in the power cable as well (it has a white plug, with small red/yellow/black wires running into it)

If the CD-RW drive is going to be your only drive, then it should be straightforward. Just plug in the cables from your old drive into the new drive.

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, but I had the computer open and was pushing from the inside. It just wasn't coming out and I didn't want to push any harder than I already was. If I really have to push harder on it, I will. I guess it is really snapped in there? Does it usually take a lot to get them out?

I do appreciate the added information you gave me, though. I thought I should make it a slave but the instructions weren't clear enough.

Thanks!

downtown

downtown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When you're pushing the plastic spacer from the inside, you'll have to push one of the plastic brackets holding the spacer in place. Just push it sideways, then push the spacer out. Don't push the spacer without doing this, or it will snap. Hope this helps!

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you! I knew there had to be something I was missing and I knew I could get the answer from GTG!

I appreciate it! <_<