Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Exporer won't start, Windows will not Update (Resolved).

Internet Explorer Windows Update

Best Answer paulme8337 , 19 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

Removed AVG. Installed MSE. IE version 10 now opening fine.Will now try Windows Update! Should I try update to IE 11 or would you advise leaving as is? p.s. Is MSE a good antivirus or would yo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

paulme8337

paulme8337

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Everything working fine up to a couple of days ago.

Now, Internet Explorer will not open. When I try to open it, small circular "timer" appears as if it is trying to open, then after a couple of seconds it disappears.

When I open Windows update, then "check for updates" it just keeps searching for an hour or more without success. I have tried to check for updates on a number of occasions but the same thing happens on each attempt.

Any ideas what might be the problem please?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello paulme8337,

Are you able to connect to the Internet using another browser such as Chrome.

How do you normally connect to the Internet as in Ethernet or by way of a wireless router.

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I can connect to the Internet using another browser such as Chrome - which is working fine.

I normally connect to the Internet as in Ethernet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Used Tweaking.com as directed (lengthy process!).

Now finished, tried Internet Explorer - still not opening. (Google Chrome and Maxthon browsers both working fine.

Anything else I can try please?

p.s. My wife's laptop (also Win7) will also not carry out a Windows Update, but IE is opening on her machine. 

Couldn't be related to Microsoft pushing us to download Win10 which we have both rejected) by any chance?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How to repair or reinstall IE guide here

If no joy, download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Not sure what is going on with Windows 7 tbh but there are quite a few articles regarding the problems Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems and It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 update slowdowns are but two.

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi phil,

Thanks but I have already tried all the suggestions in the IE guide with no success:

• You can't uninstall IE from Control Panel in Win7 - it doesn't appear as a separate program in "ControlPanel/Programs & Features/Uninstall or Change a Program"
  • I've tried downloading latest version of IE (ver.11?) but when I try to load it responds that I have this version already installed!

I will download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for you as suggested.

Regards

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Wasn't aware that you had tried the fix at the link, sorry  :( hopefully Speccy will flag up something.

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

This is the details from running Speccy as you requested:

http://speccy.pirifo...Ul67QSaaM7tHRgc

Thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Odd, Speccy shows Windows Update AutoUpdate: Not configured and there are no Windows updates shown to have ever been installed or attempted to be installed but failed  :headscratch:

Do you have a restore point that is before the issue first started, if not, try rolling back to an earlier version of IE (not uninstall :bashhead: silly me ), "how to" here

Advertisements

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi phil,

Just had a look at those links you sent me -  Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems and It's time for Microsoft to fix the Windows 7 . Can't help but think it describes the issues I am experiencing very closely, maybe there isn't a solution?

Anyhow I'll wait until you have had chance to look at Speccy info before I give up!!!!!

Regards Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Paul,

Did you not see my reply #11;

Odd, Speccy shows Windows Update AutoUpdate: Not configured and there are no Windows updates shown to have ever been installed or attempted to be installed but failed   :headscratch:

Do you have a restore point that is before the issue first started, if not, try rolling back to an earlier version of IE (not uninstall  :bashhead: silly me ), "how to" here

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Sorry! Apologies I must have missed your reply 11.

1. Windows Update was set to auto update. Maybe I have cancelled that setting whilst trying basic problem solving over last couple of days before I contacted Geeks to Go?
  2. Tried a System Restore when problem first started, but it did not complete successfully and all earlier restore points now appear to have been deleted
  3. Last installed update I can see is 17/04/2016 for Microsoft .net framework and 06/03/2016 for Microsoft Windows

How do I roll back to earlier version of IE?

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Do you still want me to follow your instructions as per your reply 10?

paulme8337

paulme8337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I know how to open Command Prompt but how do I do so as Administrator please?