Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows vista keeps checking for updates 2 days now (Resolved).

vista 32bit windows updates checking for updates fails

Best Answer HolyCowZ , 21 April 2016 - 02:37 AM

I had to reinstall after things kept sticking for 1 sec every 10 seconds and just left it for over 10 hours its seems to have installed all the updates not. So thanks Phillpower and Freebooter for... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

As in the title the updater keeps checking for updates at first i thought it may be corrupt files so rolled the pc back and when that didnt work I reinstalled downloading manually sp1 and 2 for vista they installed ok its checking for updates from the updater that just keeps going and going I ran the fix it tool from Microsoft but that hasn't helped any ideas why it would be looking for so long and not doing anything. 2 days is a long time very abnormal. Also installing the latest drivers also just keeps looking and looking never getting anywhere.

A fix would be great many thank you's in advance of any help provided 

Paul

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello HolyCowZ,

There seems to be a lot of people having problems with updates lately but mostly Windows 7 (conspiracy theorists are saying that it is Microsoft trying to force folk to upgrade to Windows 10  :ph34r: ).

Download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello thanks for the help. I have run the tweak thing note for note and am now testing if it will now update. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to be making it hard, I might have to kidnap bill gates and hold him hostage till the update finishes just feed him raw tofu with yak milk and make him watch snuffleupagus do the snuffle shuffle over and over again  lmao wonder if that would work lol :P 

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello both of you

I tried what you both said and nothing worked so I kept reinstalling and reinstalling the OS that never worked so I rang Microsoft and used the online help which was pretty useless they did say they would not charge me as it was an update issue so maybe thats because they are hiding something. Anyway I told them I will give bill gates no more money he has had enough.

I'm doing now another reinstall and so far it seems to be working I'm upto the install of sp1 and its finding updates in less than a minute so far so good. I think bill gates read the hostage line lmao.

Is it OK to keep this open till I'm done encase I hit a problem please?

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hit a problem it seems to be installing sp1 again and again and again. should I try a manual install by downloading the sp1 and 2  strait from microsoft?

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

manual install worked I'm upto sp2 now but after I installed windows update agent 7.6.7600.256 which says it allows your computer to install and search for updates. All the new windows update agent seems to have done is make checking for update go on forever I think this may be the problem whether intentional or not by Microsoft I don't know seems odd that the update agent before this worked in seconds and now the new one makes trouble.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Its a legit copy of vista and each time I do a clean install and its at sp2 it all goes wrong ever time with the update above indicating to me something is wrong with that update agent. I will try the script thank you. I can't see it working though as it has to be the update agent with this many clean installs and this time I have tested for corrupt files after every load of updates and found none. And everything else updates just fine the Internet is great again pointing at the update agent.

Ill get on and run the batch script ty very much for your time and help its much appreciated.

Paul

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

I don't think it will be the firewall or av as I did 2 clean reinstalls with no av and no firewall to rule that out before I came here. I've run the batch and am now doing the checking for updates thing once thats done I'll run the system readiness tool. I'll get back to you once I'm done Thanks again.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
✓  Best Answer

I had to reinstall after things kept sticking for 1 sec every 10 seconds and just left it for over 10 hours its seems to have installed all the updates not. So thanks Phillpower and Freebooter for all your help sorry to have been a pain. Never in all my 100's of reinstalls have I had so much of a problem, it's not all perfect yet I still have one issue but its seems to have installed everything, so thanks again Il'll close this thread.

cheers chaps

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome, you have not been a pain at all, we are here to help for as long as it takes, thanks for the follow up btw Paul  :thumbsup:

dotblot

dotblot

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys I have the exact same problem.

My PC came with vista, I had some problem so I use the recovery disk to get it back to factory setting and then I installed SP1 and SP2. I tried to do windows update with it keeps on checking without any progress.

I don't think it will be the firewall or av as I did 2 clean reinstalls with no av and no firewall to rule that out before I came here. I've run the batch and am now doing the checking for updates thing once thats done I'll run the system readiness tool. I'll get back to you once I'm done Thanks again.

@HolyCowZ

What bath did you run that fixed the issue.