Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stuck in Win10 repair loop

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
One more question, when I get my new hdd, do I just load it with all my original Dell software? I also formatted and old external drive as a recovery drive. Do i attach that from startup?

All your help has been really appreciated.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Sorry for all these additional posts ( my first paragraph disappeared on my last post, hence the repetition of the thank you line), but I hope it's ok that i check with you: Is there any reason the following drive would not work with my Dell laptop (a Dell studioXPS 1645): https://www.amazon.c...=A2WRERIMEQIKWL

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
OK, terrific.

I'll never buy Seagate again! My Seagate HDD isn't even 18 months old. My external HDDs are Fujitsu and 5-8 years old and have NEVER had a problem. But I'm going to replace my external HDDs as well because of their age.

I'm wondering if there is a utility you recommend that can check, or keep an eye on, the status of an external (or internal) HDD.

Please let me know, then I'll stop bugging you. ;)

Thanks again, Freebooter!

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Sounds good.

Will try out that utility when I get everything set up.

The Amazon vendor that sells the Fujitsu HDD won't be able to get it to me until Tuesday at the earliest. They might not even get here until even later in the week. If I have any issue, I can either post here here or start a new thread. Up to you. But is should be fine.

Thank you again for all the help, Freebooter.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thx!

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, Freebooter!

Hope you're well.

So, OK, I finally got a new HDD. I chose USB for boot option, and I'm in a Windows7-looking page (see BG in attached image) asking me to choose an image. The USB folder (with the Dell recovery info) is an option, but nothing seems to work.

My DVD drive doesn't work either.

I am now trying Startup Repair, but it's been running for now than 30 minutes (when I click cancel, it tells me the operation cannot be canceled).

Thoughts?

P.S. My DVD hasn't worked for months; I don't think it's a connected issue (although 3 external DVD drives I've purchased have all not worked)

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20160505_16_26_51_Pro.jpg

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
More photos...

No surprise that startup repair didn't work...i need to get to that disc image.

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20160505_17_25_14_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20160505_17_25_26_Pro.jpg
  • WP_20160505_17_25_35_Pro.jpg

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hey, Freebooter,

I was able to borrow an external CD drive, read the cd version, and install. Things are finally getting back to normal.

Thank you one more time for your assistance. You can have this topic closed.