Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble connecting to game servers via steam (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 23 April 2016 - 04:18 AM

v5v5, Oh yeah and I'm browsing the internet on the same connection.   Suggests that it is not a problem on your end, if only related to online/Steam games open a su... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

v5v5

v5v5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Tried a different network
  • Tried Port Forward
  • Was working yesterday
  • No downloads, no changes to the system, just stopped letting me play online, for games like dark souls II, mechwarrior online, and metal gear solid V.
  • Tried deleting all of steams files except for the steam apps folder

I don't even know how to go about fixing something like this. Trying another connection should have fixed it in my opinion but no. It just refuses to work. I thought about running mechwarrior from the separate from steam download. I tried to run the installer, and it says there was an error when connecting to remote server. I've spent about 5, maybe 8 hours searching for a solution on google. Clicked every single link, and tried all of them. Maybe I missed that one single link, that is the secret technique to solving the unsolvable, but I don't even know what's causing the real problem here. I don't even know if its mechanical, and that I just need to replace it. This is insane. 

Oh yeah and I'm browsing the internet on the same connection. 

Edited by v5v5, 22 April 2016 - 11:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   v5v5,

Oh yeah and I'm browsing the internet on the same connection. 

Suggests that it is not a problem on your end, if only related to online/Steam games open a support ticket with Steam here if it happens at any other time post back and let us know the exact details please.

v5v5

v5v5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This worked.

4 Message by Support Tech on Sat, Apr 23 2016 8:37

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The following instructions describe how to temporarily disable applications running in the background which can cause conflicts with Steam. These instructions are for temporary, diagnostic use only and your system should not be left in this state.

Please try this:

Click the Start button, then "Run" (or Windows key + R)

Type in:

msconfig

Choose "Selective Startup"

Uncheck the box labeled "Load Startup Items".

Now, click on the "Services" tab.

Please make sure the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box *is* checked.

Then, click "Disable All".

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, please re-check the "Steam Client Service" as this is required for Steam to function on these operating systems.

Click "OK" and allow your computer to restart.

Test the issue.

**If the issue persists, please reply with an updated msinfo that reflects the changes made.**

Please follow the instructions linked below to provide an updated diagnostic report for your system.

Title: How to run and submit MSINFO32 Info reports
URL: http://support.steam...=1376-WTZN-9132

Note: Please make sure your operating system is updated fully before running the report:
- Click the Windows Start button, select All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Please note that the changes made with msconfig are for diagnostic purposes only. You should not leave your computer in this state.

To set the system back to normal, launch msconfig again and choose "normal startup", close the window and restart your computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Have you started re-enabling services a few at a time in msconfig, disabling all of them is only a temporary measure and not a permanent fix, once you have identified the culprit in msconfig you should uninstall then reinstall it if is important or simply uninstall it if it something no longer used such as an old video card or wireless device driver etc.