Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fingerprint reader turned on by itself after install of new software C

Fingerprint reader Disable HP Pavillion DV7 Windows 7 InsydelH20 HELP CC Cleaner Speedfixtool Avast

• Please log in to reply

Rhonda Haddock Northcutt

Rhonda Haddock Northcutt

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok this is just crazy, first I uninstalled CC Cleaner then I installed Speedfixtool and Avast for my daughter's virus protection and malwearbites then when I rebooted it asked me for a fingerprint!! This is not what she uses, she only uses a password! When I try to move the mouse, it will not move, when i attempt to type in the password, it will not type!! Please someone help me before she comes home and skins me alive, these were the ONLY things done to the computer, how can this happen??

This is a HP Pavillion DV7 running Windows 7Home Premium the bios is  InsydelH20 so it cannot be disabled in bios unless you have some other idea....... HELP!!!!

If the bios was the other one which is more normal, I could disable it in there.... But it is of course the one that you can't disable it in...

I have never seen where installing software can do this at all!! Please HELP ME

Thanks in advance, I can only find people who WANT the reader, I do not and I need to be able to get her back on her computer, she is going to freak out!!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Rhonda,

Welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

My bet is that one of the softwares you installed has restored settings to their defaults and is the cause for this. Most likely Speedfixtool which is an optimizer/registry cleaner. We advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

I use Ccleaner myself, but it also includes a registry cleaner tool which should never be used if you are not familiar with the registry.

Are you able to access the Advanced Boot Options menu? Reboot the computer and begin tapping the F8 key. Once at the above mentioned menu, navigate with your arrow keys to the Safe Mode option. Once at the desktop, please do the following:

Click on the StartVISTAORB.jpg > Control Panel > Biometric Devices > Change Biometric Settings

UNCHECK "Allow users to log on to Windows using their fingerprints"

Save the changes.

To remove Biometrics data for all users, click the radio (round) button "Biometrics off"

Reboot the computer and see if that was successful in disabling the finger print reader.

If that is successful, personally I would then go to the Control Panel and uninstall Speedfixtool.

Please keep me informed to your progress.

Donna :)