Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Won't Turn On (Resolved).

Best Answer cmac24 , 30 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.  I just got the new power supply the other day and installed it successfully tonight.  Consider the issue closed with my deepest thanks for your patience a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

cmac24

cmac24

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

I recently upgraded my PC. After a few months of not being used or turned on, my previous PC will not turn on.  It's a dell that runs windows XP.  The green light in the back does turn on.  Could it be the power supply or something else?  Thanks,

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   cmac24,

Can you post the model name or number of the Dell so we can do some research.

Do you get anything on screen at all, the Dell logo or a no signal message as two examples.

Are you ok with working inside a computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you cmac24, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Sorry about that.  I was away for a couple of days.  It's a dell inspiron 530.  I'm somewhat comfortable.  I won;t be able to check back in until tomorrow but I appreciate your patience and assistance,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem and thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

Do you get anything on screen at all, the Dell logo or a no signal message as two examples.

When you post back can you answer the question above for us.

The green light in the back does turn on. 

What colour is the power button LED on the front.

Do you hear any error beeps at all.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

"Do you get anything on screen at all, the Dell logo or a no signal message as two examples."

The PC doesn't turn on at all.  There was nothing on the screen when I checked (it's not currently hooked up to a monitor.  I don't recall if there is a signal message but I think there was.  I'll double check.

"What colour is the power button LED on the front."

The color in the front is blue

"Do you hear any error beeps at all."

No beeps at all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The PC doesn't turn on at all.

Not being pedantic but please explain as in do you hear the cooling fan running or see the hard drive activity LEDs blinking.

There was nothing on the screen when I checked (it's not currently hooked up to a monitor.  I don't recall if there is a signal message but I think there was.  I'll double check.

Aye hook up the screen and let us know + keep in mind that the screen needs to be left hooked up while troubleshooting.

"What colour is the power button LED on the front."

The color in the front is blue

That is normal and means that the problem is most likely a graphics issue with an outside chance it being memory related.

"Do you hear any error beeps at all."

No beeps at all.

Dell computers use error beeps, diagnostic LEDs and on screen error messages to help with troubleshooting, please confirm whether or not the computer normally emits a single beep once the computer has passed the power on self test (POST) and then allows you to boot into Windows.

In addition to the above, can you tell us if you are using an add on video card or an integrated video chip on the MB - have you tried connecting the screen to another computer to confirm that it works (you can often use a notebook computer for this) and if your screen is also the Dell brand have you tried the built in diagnostic test.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thanks for your patience, I've been pretty busy lately and just got a chance to check things.

"Not being pedantic but please explain as in do you hear the cooling fan running or see the hard drive activity LEDs blinking."

There is no noise at all or lights blinking other than the green light in the back and an orange light on the inside/

"Aye hook up the screen and let us know + keep in mind that the screen needs to be left hooked up while troubleshooting."

The monitor says "No Signal"

"Dell computers use error beeps, diagnostic LEDs and on screen error messages to help with troubleshooting, please confirm whether or not the computer normally emits a single beep once the computer has passed the power on self test (POST) and then allows you to boot into Windows."

The PC is not powering on at all.  When I press the button, nothing happens, same as if it were unplugged.

"In addition to the above, can you tell us if you are using an add on video card or an integrated video chip on the MB - have you tried connecting the screen to another computer to confirm that it works (you can often use a notebook computer for this) and if your screen is also the Dell brand have you tried the built in diagnostic test."

I haven't installed any add on video cards.  The screen is a dell, but it's an older model.  My screen works fine with my current PC.

Thanks again for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries we understand that people have other things to attend to  :thumbsup:

please confirm whether or not the computer normally emits a single beep once the computer has passed the power on self test (POST) and then allows you to boot into Windows."

The PC is not powering on at all.  When I press the button, nothing happens, same as if it were unplugged.

Sorry for any confusion but I meant when the computer was working ok and up to the point that this issue first happened, not all MBs have an onboard speaker and if you have never heard a beep from the board before you will not hear one now, hopefully you did previously hear a single beep as having an onboard speaker available will help with our troubleshooting.

I haven't installed any add on video cards.  The screen is a dell, but it's an older model.  My screen works fine with my current PC.

Acknowledged and suggests that your screen and video cable are both good, as long as the same video cable is being used that is.

You are welcome  :)

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

"Sorry for any confusion but I meant when the computer was working ok and up to the point that this issue first happened, not all MBs have an onboard speaker and if you have never heard a beep from the board before you will not hear one now, hopefully you did previously hear a single beep as having an onboard speaker available will help with our troubleshooting."

When the PC was working, I did hear a beep.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Good, that will help  :thumbsup:

Please disconnect all sources of power to the computer, press the power on button for 20 seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the MB, open up the computer, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU, remove the RAM from the computer (see page 124 onwards here) connect the power cord, screen and keyboard and then power up, let us know if you get any error beeps with the RAM removed.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

I disconnected it as you suggested and removed the RAM (connecting the monitor and keyboard).  I turned it back and still nothing.  No beeps, noises of signs of life.  Thanks again for your assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No error beeps with the RAM removed on a MB that has an onboard speaker means that the problem is before the RAM, this = the PSU first and the MB itself next.

If the PSUs internal fan is not running it does suggest a power problem, let us know if it is or not and I will post the info for you to do a quick test on it.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

The fan is definitely not running.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The following is perfectly safe if you follow the steps accordingly;

Disconnect the power cord from the wall socket.

Press the case power on button.

Disconnect all of the PSU connections to the MB, any HDDs and optical drives etc, put the 24 pin ATX power connection to one side then secure the others away from the inside of the case, straighten out a paperclip then bend it into a U shape, place the two ends of the paperclip into pins 15 and 16 as shown in my attachment, connect and then turn on the power to the PSU, let us know if the PSU fan activates.

An example video here