Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shadowplay freezes Windows 10

• Please log in to reply

SkyXero

SkyXero

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

When I plug in my USB Turtle Beach Recon 320 with 7.1 Surround sound and record with shadowplay the process when recording is fine. It's just right after the recording when I go to check the video my computer starts freezing up. When I unplug my headphones my computer runs normal again. Does this matter have something to do with the Turtle Beach drivers installed with the headset? Also is it normal to have the NVIDIA Capture server take up 27% of my memory on task manager? I have 8 gb (4x2).

Advertisements

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

UPDATE:

Upon using different recording softwares like OBS when recording it seems smooth. But further investigation it seems that OBS doesn't catch my audio from the game, only my mic. When I do switch it to making it pick up on the audio. It tends to heavily break down on my CPU (FX-6300) Even at really low settings. For some reason, I recall not installing my 7.1 Surround drivers and having Shadowplay work great. I am assuming this would apply the same for OBS. I am wondering if it really just is the drivers for my headphones and should I delete them solve my problem.

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

CONCLUSION:

When uninstalling the drivers the recording softwares worked like a charm. I ended up going back to shadowplay. As shadowplay did not lower the fps and quality of the videos like OBS did. I would maybe use OBS for streaming but not likely. In the end the drivers caused a problem and I think I know why. When you install the drivers it forces you to switch to DVD Quality in the Advanced settings for both the mic and headphones. The mic doesn't seem to effect any recordings but the headphones do. When I do switch my headphones to DVD Quality it freezes up my computer. On CD Quality it runs very smooth. As for recording as well now. Mic at DVD quality there are noticeable clicks when speaking. At CD Quality it runs smooth. So in the end it was not really shadowplays fault. But the surround sound drivers.