Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repair install of XP when upgrading motherboard

• Please log in to reply

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hi all

I am upgrading my motherboard and platform to socket 939 (ABIT AV8 3rd Eye)with an AMD 4000+, from a socket 478 (ASUS) based system.

I will be using all my current peripherals and hard drive, which has XP loaded.

I've read a few articles which have suggested that it is desirable to do a 'repair install' for XP when swapping over a mobo.

Is someone able to indicate whether it is necessary to do this and if so, how I go about it.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by KGH, 15 June 2005 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi KGH-
it is recommended to do the repair install. when windows loads, it loads drivers for the specifics of what is in the system, so motherboard specific things could be using different drivers, and cause windows to freak out. especially since you are going to a whole different type of setup, from intel to amd. completely different chipsets.

when you set the system up, after you set everything in the bios correctly, set your boot order to CD, then hdd.
restart with the windows installation CD in the drive, and when it gives you the option for repair install, choose that. after your done with that, be sure to install your motherboard drivers, which should have come on a disc with the mobo. better yet, download the latest drivers from the website.

back up any critical data from that drive first, just in case something unexpected happens.
even if something truly bizarre happened, worst case scenario is you buy a new drive, do a clean install onto that, then install your old drive as a secondary and move your files over from it.
its not likely to be an issue at all, just better to make sure you wont risk losing anything important.

any questions or problems, let us know, we'll help you out!

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
That's great thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I had dis-assembled my machine before realising this, although had not commenced installation of the new mobo, so I guess I should re-assemble, back up critical data and repeat.

Thanks again for your help. Will let you know how it goes.