Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multi-Office Network Setup NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

kargoe

kargoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I posted something like this similar along time back but the logic has changed a bit and I've got WAY MORE flexibility. I'd appreciate any help with this as the problems I am seeing are completely new to me.

We have two windows based networks, presently both running Microsoft Small Business Server. (It's junk and I can't stand it but it's what we have right now).

We are a creative firm and we share an awful lot of BIG files between the two offices. We're putting in a T1 shortly on the West Coast with a T1 on the East Coast to follow within a few months.

Our current setup requires that the East Coast office VPN in to the West Coast's Exchange box (the SBS box) so that they can get their e-mail. This, seems really stupid considering that we should be able to split the e-mail at the server level with e-mail for users on the west coast going to a west coast box and the same for the east coast users.

Our setup is basically mirrored for the two coasts, but we have more hardware and a soon to be faster connection here on the West Coast.

What I'm specifically looking for is:

* The ability to quickly/easily find and work on large binary files by either office.
* A device that determines who the e-mail 'send to' is and routes it to the appropriate office. (Or maybe they just all login to one e-mail server?)

I think because we've been held back for so long with a slow (DSL, gulp) connection that having this T1 will really change our thinking. I want to roll out to reflect the new thinking.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Karl.

Advertisements