Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer OS and boot to larger drive

• Please log in to reply

Ten_dollar_bill

Ten_dollar_bill

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi there, guys and gals.

I just recently got a 1TB sata drive, that I want to install to my external case, split in half, put a clone of my present c: drive onto the second partition of the 1TB, then install the TB into the computer, and then backup the clone to the 1st partition, and leaving me with all my programs and shortcuts still valid, and with extra space in the partition for games.

My question is: Would this be workable, and what would be the best free solution? I really don't want to do the whole windows reinstall, wait days for initial SP1 updates kinda thing.

Any suggestions considered, all software scrutinized, and any free beer welcome! ;)

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
I think your proposed plan is workable, but you will need to keep a close eye on what your are installing on where....(it's easy to become confused!) :oops:

I would be inclined to consider doing it this way:

1 Download and install Macrium Reflect free (disc imaging application) and take a complete disc image of your existing C drive and store the image on your new hard drive that you have put in your external caddy (no need to do any partitioning at this stage, just leave the new hard drive in the external caddy as one big partition.)

2 Use the "wizard" in Macrium to create a bootable CD...(useful in the event that for some reason in the future Windows will not load... you could then use the bootable CD to boot your computer and access any disc images kept on removable media...) This step (No 2) is not essential but nevertheless is a wise move)  

3 You can now remove your C drive from your computer and replace it with the new hard drive that's in your external caddy (Keep the C drive safe!)

4 You should now have access to the "new drive" which has your old operating system on it together with all updates, applications, and data files etc.
NOTE: if your image of your C drive contains any bad code, (Virus, Trojan, Worms, unwanted material or just junk and detritus accumulated over the years then it will all be faithfully reproduced onto your new drive!..... might be well worth your while checking and double checking that all is well with your C drive, prior to making the disc image....

5 If you want to now partition your new drive then proceed accordingly...

6 You can use Macrium Reflect free to create extra images from time to time, as a part of your regular back up strategy, but do keep several copies...and with at least one kept safely offsite.

Tip:
Make sure you fully understand all the instructions on using Macrium BEFORE you start..... I have known folks become confused and obliterate their operating system completely by getting confused and overwriting it!

There are of course other disc imaging applications, including free ones so check around and make sure you are 100% comfortable with the one you select before starting...

As these steps involve working inside your computer then make sure before you start that you know, understand and can apply correctly, all the personal safety and ESD precautions that are necessary...... If you are in any doubt on this at all, it would be wise to consult a local competent computer technician, and ask them for a quotation for them to do the work for you. It's good to save money, but not at the expense of your own personal safety or that of other members of your household.

Regards
paws

VarlarCody

VarlarCody

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I dont think it will work. If I do not get you wrong, you just want to transfer all stuff to new hard drive and it still leave a large space. I think to do that, you just need to clone hard drive to the new one with a freeware called AOMEI Backupper Standrad. Before the cloning, it allows you to edit the partition size of the destination disk. hope it helps you.

Edited by VarlarCody, 29 April 2016 - 03:45 AM.