Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Laptop Purchase (Resolved).

Best Answer Channeal , 28 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hello Phill, Phew! I am exhausted!!!!  Some good news, some bad........ Dban completed okay. I eventually managed to sort out my ISO-to-flashdrive problems and got the Windows 10 dow... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Chris,

Lol! I thought it was strange you saying that.  Actually, I had already thought of using Puppy, but never got around to trying it. I tried my Kapersky Rescue disk first - without success.

Glad that my slip up gave you a chuckle rather than it be disastrous  :wacko: btw, thinking of using Puppy proves that you have been learning along the way  :happy:  

Good idea creating a DBan disk instead  :thumbsup:

Use Rufus for anything not related to Windows but in the case of Windows 10 used the media creation tool provided by Microsoft, for earlier OS the Windows USB/DVD Download tool.

Did you use the Linux Universal USB Installer for DBan.

You are welcome and fingers crossed your next reply will be to say how much you like Windows 10  :)

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Phill,

Phew! I am exhausted!!!! :bashhead:

Some good news, some bad........

Dban completed okay. I eventually managed to sort out my ISO-to-flashdrive problems and got the Windows 10 download working okay. Had a few issues with what to do about the partitions which were showing up (after getting thrown back to the start once), but eventually managed to sort this out with the help of Mr. Google. All then went smoothly and I now have Windows 10 on the laptop. So, all seemed well and I was an extremely happy girl at that point.

Unfortunately, I then had an issue with being told that the activation key had already been used! I contacted Microsoft chat and was told by the guy there that it was used on the 1st September - and of course, I told him that I was in Greece then! I let him connect to my computer remotely though and he then activated Windows. It was all a bit stressful, especially as once he connected remotely I was having great difficulty typing: it kept typing numbers instead of letters! Anyway, hopefully it is all sorted now and I won't have any further problems.

How could somebody have used the same key though? Do you think Rad-IT sold the key twice? And in such a case, how can Microsoft know which user bought the key? I obviously know that I purchased it legitimately - but how can they know that?

Anyway, after overcoming all those problems, I should be happy - except for the fact that I just ran Crystaldiskinfo and the first of the problems it came up with before (see message #127) is still showing. The second problem is no longer showing up.

What are the implications for the Reallocated Sections Count error? Does it mean the hard drive is unlikely to last very long?

I did tell you I would be back with my latest tale of woes very soon, did I not? :)

Chris.

EDIT It's a new day - and I have recovered from all the problems of yesterday! Apart from my concerns about the CrystalDiskInfo results and the implications for the hard drive, I am incredibly happy with how the notebook is running - I am really loving it!!!! I am particularly pleased because I just ran Speedfan and the readings are so much better. Everything is so much faster than it was before too!  :thumbsup: 

I can't believe I actually did it (with your help of course, for which I am as always extremely grateful). And I have learned so much along the way......

Big smiles, :)
Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 29 September 2016 - 05:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Chris,

A job well done on your behalf :thumbsup: pleased to hear that you are happy with Windows 10 and the computers improved performance  :)

How could somebody have used the same key though? Do you think Rad-IT sold the key twice? 

The info at Rad-IT is not very comprehensive so cannot say for sure but one possibility is volume licence keys ( VLK info here ) MS would not have activated Windows if it was not legit but if me I would contact Rad-IT, explain what went on and ask them for an explanation.

Regarding the HDD cautionary message, keep a minimum of a weekly check to see if it drops below the current count of 85 and look out for any change in the Spin Retry Count of 100.

Enjoy Windows 10 and afford yourself a pat on the back complimented by a cup of tea and a choccy biscuit for good measure  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

A job well done on your behalf :thumbsup: pleased to hear that you are happy with Windows 10 and the computers improved performance  xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.5Yux4gu5_h.png

Thanks Phill...... and thank you so much for all your help. It has been very enjoyable: I love this computer stuff, it is so amazing! :)
I was actually really surprised how easy this was - apart from me being slow to grasp the ISO thing, it all went very smoothly up to the point where I found out the key had already been used!

The info at Rad-IT is not very comprehensive so cannot say for sure but one possibility is volume licence keys ( VLK info here ) MS would not have activated Windows if it was not legit but if me I would contact Rad-IT, explain what went on and ask them for an explanation.

I have written to them as suggested and will let you know what they say.

Regarding the HDD cautionary message, keep a minimum of a weekly check to see if it drops below the current count of 85 and look out for any change in the Spin Retry Count of 100.

Okay, will be sure to keep a weekly check on it.

We have been discussing whether or not to buy either a new desktop or another notebook. My husband has had to change his password on both Yahoo Mail and Facebook in the past week due to security issues and it has made him more concerned about using XP. Dont think now is the time to decide though: he injured his foot by treading on some tree debris blown onto  the beach after a storm while we were away and he might still have something left in his foot, so he is waiting for a scan and is very worried about it. (Like most men, he is not a particularly good patient! :) )

Enjoy Windows 10 and afford yourself a pat on the back complimented by a cup of tea and a choccy biscuit for good measure  xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.5Yux4gu5_h.png

Thank you. I might just make that a celebratory glass of wine!

Cheers! :)

Chris.

PS I don't know if Terry is still around, but thanks to him also for his earlier contribution to this thread.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

still here and glad to see everything is good and your happy. :spoton:

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Chris,

I have written to them as suggested and will let you know what they say.

Thanks, be interested to hear the outcome.

My husband has had to change his password on both Yahoo Mail and Facebook in the past week due to security issues and it has made him more concerned about using XP

Not a Facebook user but do use Yahoo and also get regular prompts to change my password running Windows 10.

Hopefully nothing serious with the foot injury and wish your husband a full and speedy recovery.

You are most welcome btw Chris and likewise thanks for the additional help Terry  :thumbsup:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Hope everything is okay with you.

Am still enjoying my new notebook (at least, it feels like having a new one, even though it isnt!).

I did not received a reply to my email to Rad-it. I found a review at https://www.ekomi.co...rad-itcouk.html and it seems as if other people have had similar problems. I could ring them I suppose, but I suspect that would probably not do much good either.

Can I ask you a quick question please? When I was getting assistance for my Dell desktop from RKinner,  he told me in message #4 here that my second hard drive (which is the larger of the 2 hard drives which has all my data on and is the newer of the 2 drives) was 'getting sick'. Crystal disk info does not show any problems. Should I be very worried?

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 09 October 2016 - 03:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Chris,

Glad to hear that you are still enjoying Windows 10  :thumbsup:

Rad-it, seem to a bit hit and miss, glowing reports in one review and then slated in the next, will not be recommending them to anyone.

Heed the advice of RKinner by keeping a regular check on the said drive and post a CrystalDisk (possibly two) screenshot/s for us please.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Sorry..... I originally intended to include Crystaldisk screenshots but got waylaid (never get any time when I can be sure I won't be interrupted these days! :( )

This is the 'sick' drive: -

CDILargerDrive.JPG

And this is the C Drive: -

CDISmallDrive.JPG

Looking at it more closely, there is much more stuff listed for the larger drive even though it says that the health status is 'good'.

All the data on the larger drive is automatically backed up to my new external drive as and when changes are made, so am not too worried about losing data. Don't want to end up with both the desktop computer and the laptop giving up the ghost at exactly the same monent though! :(

Thanks for your help,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Chris,

Keep a particularly close watch on the two following, have included the links for you to look at, both are common with Seagate drives looking at Google

Attribute name Seek Error Rate
Real value 0
Current 84
Worst 60
Threshold 30
Raw Value 000E3FD933

C3
Attribute name Hardware ECC Recovered
Real value 0
Current 48
Worst 24
Threshold 0
Raw Value 0000005E80
Status Good

The closer that the Worst reading gets to the Threshold number the higher the likelihood that drive failure will occur.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks very much for all the info Phill. Much appreciated.

Will keep a close eye on the categories you have mentioned.

Have a great week,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome Chris and likewise have yourself a great week :thumbsup:  

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Phill,

Hope all is well with you.

Was reading another thread where you were talking about how notebooks should not have the battery connected at the same time as connected via the power socket. My daughter has continuously kept them both connected throughout the time she has owned the laptop.

My daughter has said that the battery runs down very quickly, although I have not tried it. Both power and battery have been connected since I took over the notebook. What should I do?

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 20 October 2016 - 04:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Chris,

Alls were here thanks and likewise hope things are your end  :thumbsup:

Was reading another thread where you were talking about how notebooks should not have the battery connected at the same time as connected via the power socket.

Correct and having both continually connected is responsible for the following happening prematurely;

the battery runs down very quickly,

Nothing that you can do once this happens but if the notebook is never used away from a wall socket it is not a problem, if the original Sony battery it would have needed replacing by now in any event.

Try removing the battery and running off AC adaptor only.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

All okay here too thanks.  :thumbsup: 

Are batteries for this notebook still available and if so, how much would they cost approximately?

My daughter has kept both connected in her new notebook too! :-(

Thanks very much for your help.

Chris.