Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Laptop Purchase (Resolved).

Best Answer Channeal , 28 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hello Phill, Phew! I am exhausted!!!!  Some good news, some bad........ Dban completed okay. I eventually managed to sort out my ISO-to-flashdrive problems and got the Windows 10 dow... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Yikes..... I think you are seriously trying to confuse me now Terry! When I clicked on the link, I was no way expecting to see my topic from back in 2014! :)

FYI , I already posted a link to the topic though, back in message No. 17! :lol: 

Cheers,

Chris. :cheers:  

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry channeal, :blush:

i missed where you posted the link but after a quick read through the whole topic i saw where phil had trouble finding the old topic so thought i'd go search manually through the site for it.  (twice now.) :rofl:

had a thought about your daughters laptop too though that might help, seeing how she's trying to save her files with a troublesome usb stick she might want to look into setting up file sharing (homegroup or similar) from her laptop to her new pc, that way she can easily and quickly move all her files straight from the laptop to the pc.

eg. homegroup :- http://windows.micro...b1&v2h=win7tab1

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 11 May 2016 - 07:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
don't you worry channeal, phil knows i'm a contrary git

I`m far too polite to even think such a thing  :lol:

Levity apart, (terry will like this :) ) having the second HDD either completely disconnected from the computer or removed altogether is the only sure fire way of it not becoming infected, the people who create malware are very clever folk and I suspect that one of them if not done so already could actually contrive something that was capable of having the boot device mount the dormant second HDD without the user even noticing, not seen it mentioned anywhere yet though.

NB: Thank you both for posting links to the 2014 thread, far more diligent than me :lol:  

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Phill & Terry,

Thanks to you both for all the links etc. Am always very well looked after here! :)

Interesting about the 'Homegroup' thing Terry, though couldn't find anywhere that it includes Vista. I don't think my daughter wants to do it anyway (she is suffering from PTSD, so finds it very hard to get down to doing anything at all at the moment). You have sort of indirectly reminded me though of the fact that if the usb stick plays up the next time she tries it she could bring her laptop down here and use our external drive instead.

No option for me myself I am afraid but to be patient and wait until my daughter gets round to sorting everything out.

The topic from 2014 seems about 100 years ago now. Twas a long struggle to get everything sorted out, but it was well worth it as the computer has been running really well ever since... maybe too well actually, as my husband doesn't want to part with it! ;)

Enjoy the rest of your day/evening, guys.

Chris.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what no beer this time? :cheers:

:P

i know how your daughter feels, suffer from depression myself after a nervous breakdown a few years back and find it hard to do things myself a lot of the time so just for info then with vista i think you need to use something called workgroup and not homegroup but the principle is the same and you can share files across from pc to pc.

http://windows.micro...ndows=windows-7

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Very sorry indeed to hear about your own experience with depression, Terry. Depression is a terrible thing and much misunderstood by many.

Our daughter already suffered from depression, so when something bad happened to her (an assault is probably the kindest way to describe it), she really just did not have the personal resources to deal with it. It has been a very hard time for all of us. :(

Getting back to more mundane matters, thank you very much for the link to the info about Workgroup. I have bookmarked it, as it may come in useful for me if I ever get my hands on this laptop! :)

what no beer this time?  :cheers:

Nah, I don't want to be accused of inciting you guys to be drunk and disorderly whilst carrying out your geeky duties!  :no:

I love the emoticons on GTG btw, although I cannot even guess at what many of them would ever be used for! This little fella, for example, definitely looks as though he has had a few too many!  :tazz:

(Poor Phill will think this topic has gone completely awry while he is no doubt busy slaving away in a hot office!)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
(Poor Phill will think this topic has gone completely awry while he is no doubt busy slaving away in a hot office!)

Not at all, one big happy family here, busy this morning but with all the beer on offer I may be tempted to indulge in a cold one or two, never drink too much these days as I am a bit of a lightweight  :yes:

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes it's funny how topics i'm in always seem to go awry for some reason, wonder if it's my fault? :rofl:

I may be tempted to indulge in a cold one or two, never drink too much these days as I am a bit of a lightweight 

haven't had a drink myself in months but got a birthday coming up soon and my daughters forcing me out of the house for a meal so pretty sure i'll have a few then to make up for it. :D

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi guys,

yes it's funny how topics i'm in always seem to go awry for some reason, wonder if it's my fault?  :rofl:

It is good to have a laugh..... you can't be serious all the time!  :laughing:

Not at all, one big happy family here, busy this morning but with all the beer on offer I may be tempted to indulge in a cold one or two, never drink too much these days as I am a bit of a lightweight  

Don't know if it is as hot up in your part of the UK as it is down here Phill, but if it is - and if you have to be in a hot office wearing a suit and tie - then you definitely deserve to treat yourself to a beer later......

I'm a sauvignon blanc girl myself! Don't think there's a GTG emoticon for a cool glass of wine though.  :)

Ciao,

Chris.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

Have been trying to disable USB autoplay as per advice in message 18.

I found some good instructions for XP users on how to do this..... but when I get to Administrative Templates & Windows Components, I can't find System!

I am sure I must be doing something stupid! Any idea what it is, please?

Chris.

Edit: Meant to say that the instructions I was following are here

Edited by Channeal, 14 May 2016 - 05:14 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

Can you post a screenshot of where you are up to for us.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Sorry, realised afterwards that I should have done that.... was being rushed off the computer :(

screen1.JPG

Am probably just missing something really obvious!

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

it is possible that your OS is configured different because from memory I seem to recall that you have the media version.

Have you done the following;

Still on the right pane, double click system

again,

1. start button > run > gpedit.msc > ok > computer configuration > administrative templates > System
2. windows key + r > gpedit.msc > ok > computer configuration > administrative templates > system

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Phill,

Yes, have got the Media version of XP which is allied to XP Professional.

Have indeed tried to follow the instructions you quoted. When I get to Administrative Templates, I cannot see any sign of 'System', so do not know how to click on that.

I have just now learned from a Pcmag web page that if I go to My Computer and then go to Properties for each individual drive, I can then find the Autoplay properties. For each removable drive, these are currently set at 'Prompt me each time to choose an action'.

Not sure if this is enough, or if I still need to find out how to follow the other instructions and find the missing 'System'.

Thanks very much for your time,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Chris,

I don`t have XP running anymore so cannot follow the tutorial through to check it, rather than struggling with it you may be better to stick with the prompt settings that you have already, it`s not as if you have multiple USB devices being continually connected all of the time after all.

You are welcome btw  :)