Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply

tm67

tm67

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! I just found this forum, otherwise I would have posted here sooner. I am a graphic artist and work on computers all the time but when it comes to the "guts" of a computer I'm "slow".

I have a Windows XP computer with an external hard drive attatched to it. About a month ago, a friend was working on my computer. I asked him to remember to turn off the external drive when he shut down. Well, he turned off the external before the computer was completely shut down.

The next morning, I started up the external drive and the computer. I went to access a folder on my external drive that has all my files in it, (music, graphic arts work, resumes, everything...) about 35.5 GB worth of stuff. When I clicked on this folder, I got a message saying that ther was an error and the folder would not open.

So I tried to not panic, shut down the computer and external drive and started again. The computer ran through what looked like command lines and said it was repairing something. After it was finished starting up, I went to see if the folder was accessible, and it just wasn't there. There are a couple of other folders on the drive that are still there and open ok. The properties of the external drive say that there is still 35+/- GB worth of memory still being used. Files are there, I just can't get to them. The situation is a little desperate because I'm unemployed and the folder contained files I need to get a job (resume, work samples, etc.)

:tazz: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get Tune Up Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

install it to your main hard drive, click file recovery, show only files in good condition then search your external drive, restore to the original location if it is there or create a folder then move the files from this

tm67

tm67

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I followed your instructions up to where you can see a list of the files TuneUp found. It found a bunch of files that didn't add up to much, like things I had deleted before the accident happened. No mp3s, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., things that I hadn't "Deleted", weren't in the list of Found items.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm open to them. I'm nervous about accidently overwriting the hidden files though.

Edited by tm67, 16 June 2005 - 09:54 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look through these in 3rd post

http://www.geekstogo...overy-t386.html

Make sure any you try are not installed onto the external drive which has the files you are trying to recover, as installing anything there could overwrite the files you need

There are a number of places who say they can recover anything on a drive, on a no recovery no fee basis

Edited by Keith, 16 June 2005 - 10:25 AM.