Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Think it's time to upgrade and then maybe sell on to buy and build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yep.   My preference is a round cable, one end at right angle and latching, i.e. > https://www.scan.co....stack-compatiab

Example page, > https://www.scan.co....les/sata-cables

Advertisements

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks. I will get that as soon as I have money to do so and some other parts. It might be a while though before I get all the parts and am done with the actual upgrade.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: 

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

hi, it also looks like I'm going to need a SATA to USB connector too. To be able to clone my system from my hard drive to the SSD.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday jaco1.

hi, it also looks like I'm going to need a SATA to USB connector too. To be able to clone my system from my hard drive to the SSD.

Not actually required.   You leave your HDD OS drive connected, > backup all wanted Data to your external Passport drive, (safety step)  > install the SSD, then clone using The Samsung Magician software that comes with the Evo SSD.

Providing you have the Microsoft instalation media and the MB Driver disk, a fresh install would be my choice.

Arey you happy with tthe system performance at the moment, no lagging, freezing, no other issues?

Will the existing OS fit on the new SSD?

When you clone, you transfer all junk/temp files, outdated programs, obsolete Reg entries.

What parts have you got, so far?

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Glad I saw your last message about backing up as I was just about to go ahead and clone the hdd to the ssd. So I guess the next step will be to get the external passport drive. Money is getting low and so again certain things I will not be able to do until the end of the month.

I think I might be okay from here onwards though. However if any problems I will be sure to contact you. Thanks for your time and help on this project. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.   An update as I put you slightly wrong.

I thought that cloning was included in the Samsung Magician software, but it is not, a separate utility is needed, download, first item on this page,

> http://www.samsung.c...load/tools.html  please see reply #24

The user Guide, > http://www.samsung.c...ual_v30_ENG.pdf

As you are going to clone, there are some prep steps you can take.

What OS version I you running?

Can you go to disk management, > go full screen, > please take a screenshot and include in your next reply.

Thanks. 

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi, sorry for late reply,

The first link you gave me says page not found by the way.

The other other information you requested is as follows:

31b88fa2afbbde6a2e9a4ae5f8fa7b63.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Not a problem.

Please check that your backed up Data is complete and accessable, before starting the cloning.

Try this link for the Samsung Data Migration, (if the Authors site fails, use the first Mirror.)  > Download Samsung Data Migration - MajorGeeks

The User Guide, > [PDF] Samsung Data Migration v.3.0

When completed, disconnect the old HDD from the MB SATA port, and plug the SSD into tthat same port, then test.