Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

laptop would start then shut down after a few seconds.

memory slot problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

I found that my daughter had stopped using her Toshiba Satellite laptop because she couldn't get it to start up.  I would start, you could hear the fan and the dvd drive start but then it would shut down before the screen would light up.  After following some suggestions from a friend I discovered if I removed the chip from one of the slots the pc would start and run. The problem seems to be in the slot and not the chips. As long as that slot is empty the pc runs. Switching the chips doesn't seem to matter.  It is now down to 2 gigs of ram. I would like to get that slot working if possible to get the ram back. 

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 513 posts

Hi wylli501,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your motherboard and the memory slots.

If both memory modules work OK in one particular slot but not in another then its indicative of a hardware fault in the motherboard, in regard to that one particular slot.

Before replacing the motherboard ( the actual memory slots are not a serviceable part) it would be as well to check your Windows operating system by booting to a Microsoft Windows installation disc and seeing if the defective slot works when using this boot media.

You might need to alter the boot priority in the BIOS/UEFI to show the CD/DVD drive as priority 1 with hard drive0 as priority 2  disable secure boot if applicable and save the changes and with the Windows DVD in the tray the computer should boot into the install disc ( don't install anything... this is just a test!)

If you don't have a Microsoft Windows Install disc handy then you could download a live distro of Linux ( Puppy is good and a relatively small download, it's a tad over 100Mb or so) Burn the .iso as an image (a simple copy wont' work) and boot from it.

If the suspect slot works when booting to disc then its Windows we need to focus on, however if you can't boot to anything with the suspect slot occupied ( and you are doing it all correctly) then a replacement motherboard will be required.

As you can still boot up your machine with just the one slot occupied now would be a good time to check that all your back ups have worked OK and that everything that is important to you on your machine is safely copied to removable media and with at least one copy and one disc image ( tested and checked) kept safe offsite.

Post back if you need any links to help you with this