Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying new computer after 8 years. Help.

Laptop Newbie Inexperienced Shopping

• Please log in to reply

DD.Strange

DD.Strange

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello!
Brand new to forum, here. I have had the same tiny netbook for about 8 years. It's gotten me by because I'm not big on technology (I've only had Internet in my apartment for a few months, I usually just go to the library for important stuff) but I will be doing a lot of work from home now and need a new computer that doesn't take 5 days to turn on and 5 minutes to die.

Basic needs: Microsoft Office (I use excel for everything.)
Light weight, and incredible battery life for business trips.
If there is a way to maneuver from computer to phone (galaxy s6) that would be useful.
I also need something that won't crash if I have a lot of programs open at once (skype, slack, Outlook, spreadsheets, and probably music)

I don't need too much memory, I have a 360gb external I use for everything and I don't play computer games but I do listen to a lot of music and audio books.

I don't care about brands. If my netbook didn't want to die I'd still be using it so I'd like a laptop I could have for another 8 years or so.
Is this possible??

Thanks in advance...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160501_014011.jpg

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi DD Strange and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

There are many laptops on the market that with one exception, will fulfill your requirements, and there are not too many that don't have the abilities you require.... the technical requirements you set out are met by practically all modern laptops these days so your choice is likely to be determined more by price and aesthetics.

The one exception is that modern stuff is not really designed to last for 8 years.... undoubtedly some will last that long or even longer, but alas some won't and there's no way of knowing if a particular make or model number is a "long lifer" or a "short lifer"

A lot of folks reckon that maybe 4 or 5 years or so is a reasonable life span for a new computer whilst others might laugh and think anything half that age to be a bit of a dinosaur!

Regards

paws

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally i think you'd be looking at "ultra books" smaller and lighter than a standard "laptop", much more like your old netbook but much much faster and better in my opinion.

a link that might help you choose one :- http://www.techradar...-lights-1054355

another option might be tablets :- http://www.techradar...d-prices-916134

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 03 May 2016 - 06:47 PM.