Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connectivity Resources

• Please log in to reply

Frances Ann

Frances Ann

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I am a light user of internet but need it for on-line course, writing and surfing the web. I recently ended services with Charter Communications. I asked to remove TV option and reduce service to internet only. The cost for service rose quickly. Talking to a sales rep made it more confusing so I said let's cancel for now.

Well, it was a huffy decision and in researching my address, there are no other companies offering internet connectivity. Earthlink and Verizon do not service my address. In researching satelite options, majority of reviews were overwhelmingly negative.

I stopped in the local Charter Spectrum store and dropped off the rented equipment. The sales rep was great to talk to and encouraged me to return at the end of this month for a new promotion. She offered connectivity, internet only at $40 for one year. But, after expiration the cost will rise to $75 per month. I cancelled TV hoping to start watching programming via a Roku device. The costs are more reasonable and for the amount of TV I watch, it may be best for me.

I am something of a luddite with internet and technology. Is there no other option for connectivity? My laptop and iPhone of course run well on wifi when it is available. But, the public library is a long walk and has limited hours if I want to go online. I am not friendly enough with any neighbors to ask to share a wifi signal.

Any ideas? I keep thinking I just need a little device that connects to the laptop that can pick up a wifi or connectivity signal. But, that may only be wishful thinking.

Help if you can.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

to connect to the internet, you have to have an internet service provider. there's not just global "wi-fi". any wi-fi connection you use has some other physical connection to an ISP. unfortunately if charter is the only provider in your area, you're kind of out of luck. does your iphone have a data connection at your house? who is  your cell provider? all cell providers have cellular data hotspots or routers that can be used to connect your devices to the cellular network. they're typically not cheaper than a regular home connection (like charter) though.

Edit: also as a note. in MOST cases, sharing your neighbor's wi-fi is actually technically illegal (even if they give you permission) based on the contract agreements they signed with their ISP

Rikai

Rikai

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

One option may be a 3G/4G connection, but I only recommend it for light usage. If you can keep it under 2GB, you can get a prepaid plan for $35 a month from Verizon. I do not recommend it for streaming videos or music, as that can quickly burn through data. You may also be able to use a bigger data plan and enable the hotspot feature, if you have an iPhone that supports it.