Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data recovery from a PC formatted Ext HD, only have a Mac

• Please log in to reply

JonSevastra

JonSevastra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

So I have an older WD My Book 1TB Ext HD. (USB2.0, FireWire400, eSata connections) I used it when I had a PC. Last time I turned it on was about 4 or 5 years ago, then I switched to Apple. It worked fine then. I recently found it and believe there may be data I'd like to retrieve. I'm not sure how to do it. I don't have a windows computer. I tried plugging it into my MacBook Pro but nothing happened.(it turned on, but the Mac didn't recognize it.) So I can't tell if it's because it was formatted for a PC or if the drive is actually malfunctioning. What's the next best course of action to problem solve this?

Thanks,

Jon

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi JonSevastra, and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

An easy way to check out the external hard drive might be to try it on a Windows PC that is known to be fully operational.

Perhaps you could ask a chum to help?

Regards

paws

JonSevastra

JonSevastra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Amazingly, I don't know anyone who has a PC. Are there any services or stores that help with issues like this?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Phone your local PC shop and ask if they would test the external drive to see if it is working, if yes, try the following.

Have you taken these steps, > http://techfrag.com/...-how-to-fix-it/

If you still can't get to the Data, try using a Linux Live USB, Mac version available, I use Puppy as it it very small and easy to use, download it from inside Unibootin.

Data recovery services are available, but horrendously expensive

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Been a while since we heard from you.   Did you manage to retrieve your Data?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.